Bruised sole.. or something more?

Hoof-Prints

May 10, 2008
Yesteday i thought my mare was limping, but then she seemed ok so i assumed i just imagined it, anyway today me and my dad both noticed it, and on the right front leg. i picked and scrubbed her front hooves (both just incase my judgement was wrong) but saw nothing, felt up and down her legs and shoulder and no lumps bumps or swelling. I wondered if with the snow, her snowshoes could have bruised the sole? or is there something else that it could possibly be?

:confused:

at this time of year, its possible it could be something like thrush or an abscess, but a bruised sole is just as likely.
have you had dry or snowy ground thereor is it muddy and wet mostly? is her hoof hot and does it hut her id you prod around on the sole?

A pony I know has just got a bruised sole, at first he was thought to have laminatis then they all though an abcess but it's a bruised sole. I could well be because of the snow but not that common, I would get a vet out straight away just to make sure everything is OK!
Also you didn't mention heat? Is her hoof or feltlocks burning up or anything?

I thought I had bruised sole but couldnt work out why he was lamer on soft ground but better on the yard and lane...turned out to be an abcess.. Hooves are a nightmare when thigs go wrong arent they!
Have you got your farrier coming out soon? If not might be best to get the vet to have a gander.. If its not a severe lameness and there is no heat vet might agree to but and rest without coming out to give it a few days to go down if its a minor bruise or strain..

newrider.com