Bruised sole

H

heartofrainbow

My youngster bruised her sole on stone 11 days ago

Over night she went seriously lame - so I had the vet out, who put her on some bute and a short course of antibiotics to prevent any infection occurring

My youngster is coming to the end of her course of bute, but she is still lame although not as bad as she was (IMO she has gone from being a 5 to being a 2)

I have been giving her arnica to help with the brusing

I have called my farrier to see if he will come out and have a look at her, but am waiting for a reply at the moment! As she had just recovered from an abscess in her hind limb - so I am wondering if the bruised sole may have become slightly infected (although shouldn't have really with the antibiotics - but you never know!)

In peoples experiences how long have bruised sole taken to heal???

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Brusing takes quite a long time to heal! Aslong as she's steadily getting better i wouldnt worry!

Have you though about buying a hoof boot for her (boa boots ect.) So she can wear that while she's healing, that way no stones get in and make it worse?

xxx

No I hadn't thought about that!
Thanks I will have a look at some boots for her!

Any horse can get a bruise or a foot abcess, especially a baby hooning about in a field.

So long as you are not getting them time after time don't worry.

A bruised foot and an abscess can be scary as they can behave as though they have a broken leg. I have seen a sound pony go into his box at night and come out in the morning on 3 legs.

Any horse can get a bruise or a foot abcess, especially a baby hooning about in a field.

So long as you are not getting them time after time don't worry.

I agree with the above. I apologise that my post sounded like I didn't. Abscesses on the mind at the minute, with a couple of clients. Jumped the gun & took it as an ongoing thing. However, an abscess & serious stone bruise in a short period would still make me want to check the management & hoof condition was up to scratch.

Thanks guys!

It turns out that she never bruised her foot ... the vet was crap and missed the foot infection that was starting to develop! I wasn't happy with her progress, so got my farrier out and he found it straight away! Errrrr!

Anyway thanks for the advice!

newrider.com