Buddy does his hunt ride

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Buddy went on his 5 mile ride at Rawflat. We did about 4 miles. he was a total eejit to start with, head between knees, bouncing. We managed to get a canter in early on and that took some of the fizz out of him. We also managed to get out alone so for most of the 1 hour 20 minutes we were solo, so he was just plodding along. I didn't do the final loop as the ground was so soft and I reckoned he had done enough. Got him back to the box, didn't attach my rope to the partition as I thought he was. He spotted the opportunity and charged out, couldn't hold him, and as he passed the next horse box he hooked he reins on a bracket and pulled his bloody bridle off. Headed off back to the start and through the woods where some folks finally got hold of him and I led the old bugger back and loaded him....with the pink rope in place this time. He has had a bit of a wash down and is out in the sun. He was still going on well at the end still walking out strongly so I think he enjoyed himself I am amazed his boots stayed on as it was really deep but fair play we came home with four of them still in place..20190928_104727.jpg20190928_104718.jpg20190928_104732.jpg20190928_115626.jpg20190928_115621.jpg

Woohoo! Glad the big man is feeling fit and full of life again. Sounds like he didn't agree with you that he'd done enough and thought he'd do a bit more on his own :D I know it's naughty, but you got to smile.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Woohoo! Glad the big man is feeling fit and full of life again. Sounds like he didn't agree with you that he'd done enough and thought he'd do a bit more on his own :D I know it's naughty, but you got to smile.
I can now but seeing him buggering off down the woods with no bridle on is one of those heartstopping moments

And the even more brilliant news is that he is sound this morning, went up the field with Suze and Fleur, trotted off. He had some danilon yesterday, he is on one sachet every second day which we are going to reduce to half a sachet and then see. I had expected to have to give him one this morning if he was a bit stiff but no, he was walking nicely and just ambled up the field quite happy.

This head between the knees thing sort of suggests mine won't necessarily grow out of it then.
Though for her it's a displeased grump!

Looks like a nice sunny day there. Glad you had a good time.

He's had a week off as my back was really bad but back out today for an hour. there is a riding club ride tomorrow so hopefully we will give it a go as not huge numbers probably and I can go off and head back when I feel like it. Sadly the expensive boots we bought him and tried on in July when they fitted don't fit when they arrived, so they will have to go back!

He's going great guns, out this morning for an hour, stubble field margins, he decided he was cantering, rude not to let him. He bounced home then went out with Fleur up the field bucking and kicking.

Reactions: Jessey
We did a route this morning we haven't done in months as it has a long slow down hill on tarmac. he coped with it fine, did an hour, came home walking out nicely, full of himself. He is back to the old Buddy, so far so good. He is down to half a danilon every second day and may see if we can reduce it further. He is going up the field galloping, he can roll over both sides and get up fine, and he is bright as a button.

newrider.com