bug under the skin????HELP PLEASE

ali cat

HI--CAN YOU HELP??? i think ted has a bug under his skin!!!

he started off with 2 pea sized lumps under his coat--they have now faded but new ones right next to them have come up--it looks like they form a line--like something burrowing under the skin and coming up for air.

they are hard-not sore-nothing comes out when they are squeezed--as they fade in size they become scabbed--not bloody type scabs--more like dry skin--then another 'pea' is already growing at the end of the line--he has a line of them about 10 inches long now

any cream will soften the scabs so they can be removed but i have no idea what the underlying cause is

i have moved to a new area mebbe 4 months ago and the vet insists on being paid on the day so i have to wait until after xmas when i get paid to call him out--any ideas on treatment in the meantime

thanks

ali cat

isn't there a worm that does that? I would read up on worms and seek the correct treatment, I cant remember which one but I'm certain there is a worm that does that. Can someone not loan you some money to get this sorted its not very nice leaving it.

Bot flies eggs hatch and burrow under the skin, normally cattle are affected. Would have thought it was the wrong time of the year for them though.

Give your vet a ring and ask him on the phone and see what he thinks

Debo

It warbles you are thinking of, Bots burrow into the tongue.

I thought we had eradicated Warbles here!

Hi Wally

Yes I know about warbles but it's actually bots I meant. I was watching the David Attenborough program last week, bugs in the undergrowth or something like that, and he said bots. Actually showed you the process of the eggs on the skin of the cows, then the larvae burrowing into the skin.

I must admit I was shocked because as far as I knew bots laid yellow eggs on the horses legs which would then be licked off, and then get into the insides that way.

Regards
Debo

are they in the area that bears the saddle/girth? could be something like a bite that has been further irritated by a rubbing saddle. you'd get the line effect as the result of inflammation spreading along the associated lymphatic vessel.

im not sure as i haven't seen it but are u sure it isn't ringworm? just they way you have describes them spreading
this is quite a servere case but only pic i could find
Ringworm.gif

try just batheing them in hibiscrubjust the affected area with clean cotton wool each one. dont bath the whole of your horse as i knew someone that done this and it spread all over there body! if you have suspitions it could be this isolate the horse for a while as it can spread to other horse and can spread to u

Last edited:
NO--NOT RINGWORM--I'VE SEEN THAT BEFORE AND IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE IT

oops--sorry we use caps at work and i forgot to change

anyway--the hair is perfect-nothing coming out at all--no inflammation or redness--just bumps you can feel. and dry skin which is a bit flakey on the top of them when they get to their biggest. he knows when i squeeze one but isn't hurt or bothered by that--just looks at me as if to say --what you doing?

as they spread down the line old ones disappear--so only a few evident at a tim

weird

they do seem to be fading on their own (very gradually)so goodness knows what it is

I would seriously consider getting a different vet, and getting them out asap! To my (very) inexperienced mind it sounds like warbles (but I know nothing else about them). I did also think of worms at first. But seriously you should think about getting a new vet, what would happen if you had to wait to get the vet out until you got paid and it turned out to be something serious?
Sorry, just my opinion, hope you don't mind! :p
RachelB

It could just be dry skin or it could be an allergic reaction to something. I react to everything and anything and have had urticaria (creeping rash) from a couple of things. The bumps are up to the size of a pea and when you squeeze them they release clear/yellowish fluid (lymph). They then scab over and heal only for another patch to develop. The affected areas are usually itchy - does he scratch at the affected areas?

I would definitely try to get a vet to have a look or someone more experienced than you.

Could you post a picture of the lumps - maybe we'd be able to give you some more ideas.

Which vet are you using? It's a long time since I've heard of a vet insisting on cash on the day; mine sends monthly accounts ... But sorry, I don't know what it is and haven't heard anything like it.

If they'll come that far (and they probably do, i know they go further your way than me, if you see what I mean) then I recommend Young Proctor & wainwright ...

newrider.com