Bugger :(

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
So checked Kia and fed him at lunchtime today and all was as it usually is, went back down after work to feed him again and give him a few hours out of these winds in his stable.

Sorted his stable and feeds and hay then went to bring him in, the rest of the herd were having a Hooley but I noticed his lordship was missing, they aren’t allowed to have a hooley without his permission and lead lol. Walked up the field dodging flying hooves and he’s standing looking miserable, shouted and he whickered at me and tried to turn round. He was struggling to do it. Coaxed him in and this was what I found.

No heat in feet no tender spots in coronet band, however I didn’t get much of a check as I lifted his leg up to check his hoof and he nearly kicked me in the head, he didn’t want his foot up too high. He is holding his stifle funny and it’s hot and a bit swollen, doesn’t look right at all.

I’m torn between abscess (praying for one actually) and him having been having a blast or mounting a mare and torn something in his stifle :( he is very unhappy :(

With abscesses he hasn’t been this lame, he is normally just a bit off. He had had abscesses and we haven’t known as not a day lame, the carrier finds them as they grow out when being trimmed. He had one come out of his coronet band that has left a mark on his hoof as it grows down that I didn’t know he had until it started to grow down and I saw it. I am still Praying for a nice juicy abscess and the alternative is not as easy to fix :(

Aw bless him :( No sign of a kick?

Nope not a mark on him, he was rugged as well, with the winds and drop in temp he’s in a 100g so some padding but not a lot :(

I’m hoping he hasn’t slipped with the heavy showers and hard ground and done the splits :(

I'd have said stifle or pelvis too. Poor boy, I hope it turns out not to be anything too serious x

Reactions: MrC
I'd have said stifle or pelvis too. Poor boy, I hope it turns out not to be anything too serious x

Vet looked at it and said the toe down and no heel down is more abscess but having had him do his hamstrings before and watched him move after than I’m not so sure. I’d have said higher up as well.

I really want it to be one though.

I’ve got cramp from crossing my fingers and a sore jaw from grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw.

We had such a lovely day on Sunday. He had a ball and dragged me out to the field the next day, thisnis such a come down :(

I'll keep everything crossed for an abscess, and to be fair I have seen that presentation for them - they can look wrong higher up if they try to avoid loading a certain part of the foot. When have you got someone coming to look? x

Sorry to read this Mr C

We have a pony at work who has twice presented like this with an abcess. We thought he had bust his hip the 1st time we found him like it so im keeping everything crossed Kia has a fat one brewed in there. Hope he is more comfortable this morning.

Unfortunately he is slightly improved his morning but no access apparent to my eye :(

So with the bite he had if it was an abscess he wouldn’t have improved at all unless it had burst.

I am currently waiting on the vet right now so we will see what she finds. Still hoping for an abscess as a hip stifle or pelvis soft tissue injury isn’t something I want to think much about x

What a bummer :( I would have said something higher up as well as he seems to improve on the straight but really struggle on the turn. But as others have seen this movement with an abscess then I am crossing everything that is the answer. Just when it was all going so well for you both - really sorry :(

Vet has just been. We are looking at either a lesion in the suspensory ligament or an abscess above the coronet band at the front of his foot. He isn’t reacting to hoof testers on the bottom but when you pinch the front above the coronet band he is not happy.

He also has swelling around his suspenseoy ligament and won’t put his heel down and is still very lame if a little improved.

We have a weeks box rest ordered. If no abscess by Friday I have to poultice over the weekend. If no joy with an abscess and he’s not improved it’s a nerve block from the fetlock down.

He is sore around his back and pelvis but that could be his foot and him holding himself funny.

It’s a wait and see game now :(

Reactions: Cortrasna
Thanks everyone. It’s terrible isn’t it hoping for an abscess when they are horrible painful things.

He is bright in himself and wanting out. He doesn’t like being stabled so a weeks box rest is going to be very testing for us both.

newrider.com