Building up an OTTB's muscle

maverick.the.paint

Apr 10, 2019
Hi! One of the ladies at my barn recently broke her tibia so I have been asked to ride her ottb. He's older but still sound and willing to do whatever. I would really like to see him build some muscle and endurance since he's been out of practice for the last couple of months. Any ideas that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Do you hack out or ride in an arena? Hacking out in walk would be really good for him, especially if you have some gentle hills. In an arena there's gentle pole work exercises you could do, but I'm sure others will have some much better ideas than me :)

Hillwork! Both up AND down... many people think that only uphill is beneficial.
Lunging long and low. Two lunge lines, no gadgets.
Aside from that, correct schooling.

No different from any other horse - lots of active walking stretching over his top and really encouraging him to step under himself. If he's unfit then I'd be looking at 4 weeks of that at least 4 times a week, building up the time you're out for, before introducing any trot. A good walk is greatly underestimated as a way of getting a horse fit.

im dealing with the same thing. try poles raised up on one side in a row and trotting over them. lots and lots of trotting over poles or just around

I guess it depends a bit on his history, how old he is and how long he's been out of work but generally I stick to the old fashioned 6 weeks walking 4-6 times a week hills, circles etc before introducing anything more challenging, to give muscles and tendons/ligaments time to adjust to working again. Then depending once basic fitness is established reassess if there is specific areas that need working on.

You didn’t give us a great deal to go on. If the horse gas when ott for years it it the same with any horse, also you don’t say how long he has not been in work for.

If resently Ott and reschooling then the work required of very different to a Tb ott years.

My boy has not raced since he was four so if he was out of work due to my illness I would treat as any horse and do as the above posters say a good walk program

Of rescently ott I would speak to the owner and find out what point on the re training she was at and pick up from there.

A tb Ott a few years after retraining is just another horse

newrider.com