Bullying by Riding Instructors

I never offered livery surfaces. Don’t make up random stuff about me please.
I said I wasn’t a qualified instructor but I do do it about 2 or 3 times a week.
I don’t want people to think of me as lying, I wasn’t.
You guys just haven’t experienced a 13 year old as a qualified instructor. I will be (if I pass my test lol) a qualified instructor in a month.
All I was saying was that I would be happy to teach. But then I realised it was an old post.
So I made a little mistake and you guys are really not understanding me properly.
Please don’t assume, it is not a good thing to do.
Ellie.

Ok my misunderstanding and on rereading you said you couldn't keep the horse there BUT you were putting yourself forward as an instructor and as a 13yo girl that is something you aren't. You have no qualification and no insurance, and there's no body that would let you take exams to qualify as one at your age, I think it's clear that several members on here understand you perfectly so please stop trying to make yourself look like someone you aren't - you just look silly. I've been back through your posts and I don't like what I'm seeing, things don't add up. Please either be more sensible in your posts or go and play elsewhere.

You guys just haven’t experienced a 13 year old as a qualified instructor. I will be (if I pass my test lol) a qualified instructor in a month.
cross posted but will send this.
You call us "guys" which suggests you are not in UK.
In the UK a minor (person under legal adult age of 18 years) could not be a qualified instructor.
To qualify as an instructor in the UK one needs to take exams either with the BHS or British Riding Schools. That means taking the normal BHS Stage exams one and two both for stable management and riding, and then the teaching exam and a first aid qualificatio. The teaching qualification involves the candidate teaching a series of lessons at several different levels and under supervision. You would also need to be vetted as fit to supervise children. And then be insured to teach riding. This qualifies you as an Associate Instructor which is the lowest level.

Sone Pony Club (children's) qualifications are regarded as equivalent to some fof the BHS exams.

• Love
Reactions: chunky monkey
cross posted but will send this.
You call us "guys" which suggests you are not in UK.
In the UK a minor (person under legal adult age of 18 years) could not be a qualified instructor.
To qualify as an instructor in the UK one needs to take exams either with the BHS or British Riding Schools. That means taking the normal BHS Stage exams one and two both for stable management and riding, and then the teaching exam and a first aid qualificatio. The teaching qualification involves the candidate teaching a series of lessons at several different levels and under supervision. You would also need to be vetted as fit to supervise children. And then be insured to teach riding. This qualifies you as an Associate Instructor which is the lowest level.

Sone Pony Club (children's) qualifications are regarded as equivalent to some fof the BHS exams.

Exactly! Though Pony Club exams do not qualify you to teach. To do B tests you have to be 17 and to do A tests 18 and these are the ones that are equivalent to BHS stages.

I know UK teenagers who use "guys" all the time, it seems to be popular slang around here.

• Love
Reactions: chunky monkey
Are there teaching/coaching qualifications other than then BHS and UKCC then?

for the UKCC endorsed pathway you must be at least 14 years old to register and 16 years old to be assessed for Level 1, and at least 16 years old to register and 18 years old to be assessed for Level 2.

BHS Riding Instructor qualifications are awarded by Equestrian Qualifications GB Limited. You would begin with the Stage 1 (at the minimum age of 14) and then Stage 2 (minimum age 16) qualifications in horse knowledge and riding.

You can then take the Preliminary Teaching Test (at the minimum age of 18) and be awarded the Preliminary Teacher's Certificate. At this point, you can join the BHS Register of Instructors, which helps the public find properly qualified Riding Instructors

I arrived on this board terrified of riding teachers and riding lessons. I was rescued by the experts on New Rider simply because I never needed to come face to face with them.
When a friend asked me to write about learning to ride in my sixities, I felt it impossible to give any account to the BHS without mentioning first the bullying and rudeness I endured. Riding can be an enjoyable and positively therapeutic experience but the bullying and humiliation which I describe is a serious obstacle to those who want to learn to ride - and for some livery clients as well perhaps.
I hesitated a lot before plucking up courage to complain to the BHS. Most of us who escape from bullying instructors want to move on and put it behind us. And I am frightened of alienating my present wonderful teachers and riding schools. I guess one could write anonymously and not mention names.
But could I ask anyone else on this list in the UK who has themselves been a victim of bullying or is aware of bullying in a riding school or in the training of students to come forward and write to the BHS, Stoneleigh Deer Park, Kennilworth, Warwickshire, CV8 2XV or e-mail enquiry@bhs.org.uk
I suspect that I am not the only adult learner to suffer in this way, nor to abandon lessons in riding schools for this reason - though few are willing to talk about it.
Hi, I am absolutely appalled that any teacher would bully a pupil, whatever the subject or age group, and I am not from the snowflake appreciation society, I'm an extremely confident person who values good teaching skills. These particular people bring the profession in disrepute and should be stripped of their qualifications as they are not fit to teach. There will always be instances when teachers become frustrated, sure, and some pupils need firm handling but reading your post the treatment you have received goes way beyond what is reasonable or professional. I certainly would report them if you have evidence and are sure of your facts, they deserve no less. Have you tried to explain how you feel to the person/s in question? I am a teacher (in another discipline now but I did used to teach riders) and our job is to encourage, develop and motivate people's skills...the way you have been taught does none of this. I certainly question this person/s ability to work with horses as they will sure as hell come 'unstuck' or at the very least destroy the horses confidence I they try to bully a horse the same way. I am in my 60's too, returning to riding after a 20 year break and I'm very confident so don;t have any issues, but you are right, it is an enjoyable past time which should not be ruined by others. I think you would be better off hacking out with other like minded people and building your confidence that way, don't attach so much importance to the way you sit or the aids, just be quiet, gentle and firm in the right amounts and ride with the minimum of tack. Building a relationship with your horse means spending quality time with him/her. Horses, like all creatures, draw confidence from his handler/rider and confidence comes with experience, it cannot be instilled or bullied into. . Good luck.

I am happy to tell you I am still riding 20 years later. Maybe by their standards I was too old and too stupid, but horses prefer elderly slow and rather stupid people my later YO always said. I am still awful at putting on a bridle but like all horses Ella is a great help and takes the bit in her mouth and then lets me push her ears through. I do worry about the ears but it doesnt seem to trouble horses.

It's just not apparent to me which way up they go, and which hole the nose goes in!
My solution is to grab the long strap. This is technically the Crown strap. Standing to the left of the horse, if you thread that long strap under the neck of the horse and reach across the top of the neck to take the strap end in your right hand, the head collar will hang in place with the evident circle where the nose goes. A problem arises for me when yard staff in a hurry release one of the dog lead clips on the cheek and dot bother to unbuckle the crown strap..

Reactions: Calder
That is how I do up all the time. I put over the ears and do up the throat clip. Then to take off unclip and pull over ears like a bridle. Much quicker and then also means you can hang them up without having to do up and undo a buckle.

Reactions: Calder
For whatever reason I find Luka gets uptight if I out the headcollar on using the buckles but is absolutely fine if I use the throat clip. A bit irritating since I prefer the other way, but not worth making a point over.

Then to take off unclip and pull over ears like a bridle. Much quicker and then also means you can hang them up without having to do up and undo a buckle.
Thank you for the explanation. Although I am not sure I shall do this. And Ella's doesnt hang.

For whatever reason I find Luka gets uptight if I out the headcollar on using the buckles but is absolutely fine if I use the throat clip. A bit irritating since I prefer the other way, but not worth making a point over.
Useless post alert.
But just did it with the clip and I don't like putting it on that way, she's got big ear.
Years ago it didn't come with the clip, though useful to clip her under the chin.

Reactions: Skib
newrider.com