Bullying

Anne

Feb 17, 1999
UK
Visit site
Anyone have any idea as to why a 12-year-old mare is constantly beaten up in the field by horse with whom she has lived for a number of years?

She is a good-natured horse but can be a little grumpy at times, trying to nip, although not viciously, when unfastening her rug, so I wondered if she might be a little dominant and winds up the other horses? However, I understand from her owner that this is not the case, as she is a "bit of a wimp" and not dominant at all, but as she apparently also insists on being in front on a group hack, ... what does anyone think?

Also, today she started to ride away from the track in the school, and seemed to be shying at something ... possibly a narrow, looped piece of pink rope draped around one of the posts! I took her up to this so she could have a look at it, and after snorting a bit, and fussing, she stopped shying, but I still had difficulty keepin her on the track. As she hasn't done this before, I'm not sure what's happening here ... it could of course be my fault, but I on't think I'm doing anything different.

She is ridden by the yard staff in school lessons, so could something have scared her? I'm not criticising anyone's riding of course, but what do you think could be the problem?

Appreciate any replies ...

Anne :)

newrider.com