Bum size vs saddle size?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
A bit personal I know but I'm interested because in my recent saddle switch I went from an 18" flatter seat/wider twist that I could sit in all day to a 17.5" deeper seat/narrower twist saddle that I am really not finding comfortable, it's not hard seat uncomfortable, I just feel like I am shoe horned into it! But saddle seat/size is meant to be based on thigh length not dress size, though perhaps both matter? I am 5'4" and wear a 14-16 at the moment :oops:

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I will be interested to read replies on this. Back when I bought a new saddle for Storm, my then YO said it went off the size of a persons rear, and I am sure she told me I'd need an 18 inch one?!!! I was and still am a 12 in jeans - but in all honesty don't know if it does go off rear size?

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
In my experience it depends very much on the saddle type and the way it's cut, as well as your preferred stirrup length. I'm a size 8 so fitting my bum in anything bigger than a cub saddle is easy but I do have fairly long thighs in relation to my height (a touch under 5'6") which is probably why I tend to ride with longer stirrups and prefer a more straight-cut saddle. Shorter stirrups do tend to push your bum back in the saddle (regardless of your size) so I think people who prefer to ride short also often need a bigger seat. Generally though I find if I ride in a 17.5 or over I am swimming around in it!

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
In my experience it depends very much on the saddle type and the way it's cut, as well as your preferred stirrup length. I'm a size 8 so fitting my bum in anything bigger than a cub saddle is easy but I do have fairly long thighs in relation to my height (a touch under 5'6") which is probably why I tend to ride with longer stirrups and prefer a more straight-cut saddle. Shorter stirrups do tend to push your bum back in the saddle (regardless of your size) so I think people who prefer to ride short also often need a bigger seat. Generally though I find if I ride in a 17.5 or over I am swimming around in it!
I ride with a much longer leg than most my height, perhaps I should play with stirrup length and see if that effects it though. Both are dressage saddles :)

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I am the same as @joosie a size eight. but if a saddle is deep seated I can go bigger than a 17 but don't feel comfy. My SJ saddle is very flat its a 17.5 still OK for me even when I raise my stirups.

I do agree that the people I see riding short sit further back in the saddle.

I have read that if the saddle is deep but you feel to big in it you should if your horse can it go up a size.

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
I’m a 12 but I have an arse like a shelf. I’m only 5ft1 but I can’t take anything less than a 17inch and I have very long thighs and my knees and up over anything slightly straighter cut. I have a very short body (need a child length BP but quite big boobs so body protectors are a night mare!) hence the short height lol.

I’ve sat in an 18jump and an 18dressage and the 18jump I felt like I could slide out of and the 18dressage I felt like I was being pushed upright and my back was hurting.

I’d say it’s the cut :)

newforest

Tomorrow can change what happens today
Mar 15, 2008
A field
I have a deep seat but slightly wider twist.
Eta. Forgot to put it's a 17"

I was taught you should be able to place your hand behind you and in front of you. You shouldnt be struggling to get into a position. I have moved mine back an inch and it's amazing what a change that made.
I was sitting too far back because the saddle was itself too far forward.
I wish all my issues were this simple!!

I can actually get my legs round now and she's at her widest. My arse matches hers that's all I am saying. :D:p

newforest

Tomorrow can change what happens today
Mar 15, 2008
A field
Somewhere in the Internet abyss is a NR thread called-
" show us yer bum" and I think it was in relation to saddle size and bottom. I remember cos I started it. well who else would;)

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I’m the same as @MrC in that I struggle with my leg coming over the front of the flap in many saddles. I’m 5’7” and Raf can only take 17”. When I swapped to my current saddle (which is treeless but the equivalent of a 17”) I found it so much comfier, partly because it’s a jump cut (although not very cut forward for a jump saddle imo) but anyway the flaps accommodate my thighs much better. I love the little working hunter and show saddles but sadly not for me unless I want my legs to dangle, which presents its own problems when trying to give leg aids.

Jack’s saddle is 18 inches and although not a particularly comfortable saddle I always thought my leg position was miles better when I rode him.

Favourite though is the bareback pad, I feel far more secure in this than I do in my saddle with no stirrups. The thigh rolls hold my legs in place and it feels a really nice position. My calves and heels don’t touch Raf’s sides much, but we only wander about in it so it doesn’t really matter.