Buy a Steady Eddie or something with a bit more flounce?

One of those things that ends up being luck more than design. I did it all wrong with both of mine - bought the first one I looked at, didn't have either of them vetted, and didn't even ride Hogan! My friend swithered and havered her way through loads of horses, finally bought one, and they just didn't get on at all. She said she just wished she'd bought the first one she'd seen, but at the time thought she should 'shop around'. A lot of people buy the 'perfect' horse ie good to hack, good to school, loads well, goes in front or behind etc etc, but if you don't bond or gel with them, where's the joy in it?

Having sat on flounce for most of today's hack my aching muscles would recommend Steady Eddie! If you absolutely must have flounce then check it comes with very comfortable paces :D

Reactions: lauren123
Having sat on flounce for most of today's hack my aching muscles would recommend Steady Eddie! If you absolutely must have flounce then check it comes with very comfortable paces :D
My friends horse is a bit like this. I do enjoy the ride and it's fun, but it's equally nice to hand him back to her at the end. :)
I wouldn't be able to keep him schooled like she has to.

The first horse I bought was the only one I rode. I declined getting on the previous five, and one had the flu and I declined to go anywhere near it and everything was disinfected!!

I viewed a few and refused to get on too! I made the mistake of getting on a belligerent cob who didn't want to go out as it was teatime and tried to take me through a hedge.

Reactions: newforest
I looked at loads! Aswell as seeing and riding 5.
1st was a TB who was very firey, needed a lot of work and wasn't the horse for me.
2nd was Royal a 16.hh ISH but when it came to the vetting had a 4 stage heart problem!
3rd was Zi a trotter x clydes but again failed vetting
4th was a 15.2 fine tb x. Good jump but too small
5th was Sox a 7 year old tb. Eventhough he refused a jump, so we did it again with more leg, we hacked no issues I could see myself hacking the countryside on this horse. He was the first horse I got off and wanted to get straight back on!

Reactions: Zannah
There is that saying if the horse flounces the rider bounces.

Mine spun me off in walk! She's a powerful girl and I was getting back into riding and had no core strength. Least I think that's what happened I sat the first 180 and went on the second! She just stood there with that oopsie expression.
I guess my concern with your post saying that you're legs don't always work well, you will need a secure seat, ability to use that seat and leg if you need to settle or slow a horse with more impulsion.
The most important gait to me is halt. You may need horse who has that as there preferred choice as well. :)

Hi. I thought I'd update everyone and what I eventually did! Thank you all for the great advice. I tried other horses and then had a chat with a Riding School Instructor. They absolutely thought me and the coloured mare were a great match and to be honest so did I. I beam when I'm riding her.

We did go through a nappy stage a few months ago but with good advice I schooled it out of her. So I feel we have faced some really bad behaviour and come out the other side. She has looked after me when my legs stopped working one day (fibre) and I absolutely couldn't get back on her. She waited patiently while I flumed about on her back.

To me she is beautiful in a gypsy cob style. Although she will never be the very fine showy type - but then neither am I! So yesterday I put an offer in and it has been accepted plus I have a place for her on the same yard. So will have all the expertise of riding instructors around me if needed. I'm so excited and to cap it all on the same day we got our new puppy home, a beyond cute tan cocker spaniel. Its going to be the best Summer ever!

Hi. I thought I'd update everyone and what I eventually did! Thank you all for the great advice. I tried other horses and then had a chat with a Riding School Instructor. They absolutely thought me and the coloured mare were a great match and to be honest so did I. I beam when I'm riding her.

We did go through a nappy stage a few months ago but with good advice I schooled it out of her. So I feel we have faced some really bad behaviour and come out the other side. She has looked after me when my legs stopped working one day (fibre) and I absolutely couldn't get back on her. She waited patiently while I flumed about on her back.

To me she is beautiful in a gypsy cob style. Although she will never be the very fine showy type - but then neither am I! So yesterday I put an offer in and it has been accepted plus I have a place for her on the same yard. So will have all the expertise of riding instructors around me if needed. I'm so excited and to cap it all on the same day we got our new puppy home, a beyond cute tan cocker spaniel. Its going to be the best Summer ever!
Pictures please!!! Of both!!!!

Reactions: Russet and Trewsers
I've dug my decent camera out - the phone camera doesn't cut it when pubs are in perpetual motion - so pics coming soon!

Reactions: Huggy
Oh I do love a happy ending!

Yes, pics please!!!
What a lovely thing to say. It does feel like a happy ending! When I'm with her I feel the same partnership as I did with my childhood pony. That pony, Poppy, and me were so in tune it was like I had 4 legs. So thats what I'll aim for with my mare. But not going to gallop everywhere and jump everything in sight as I did when an young teenager!
Unfortunately she have been booked for riding school activities for the next 4 weeks so we won't start proper until early August.

Reactions: domane and GaryB
newrider.com