Buying A Horse, How Much Would You Pay?

Poppet25

Nov 26, 2007
I've posted before that I'm looking for a horse for me and the OH and I'm taking my time so I can find the right one for us. There are other issues which are holding me back, such as my fitness level, having recently had a major operation :eek: but it doesn't stop me looking Lol :D

I look at the "horses for sale" websites most days and I'm constantly amazed at some of the prices some people are asking for horses, "cloud cuckoo land" springs to mind in many cases. Ok I realise that a horses worth is partly based on how much someone is prepared to pay for it but some people push the boundaries at times.

Anyway if all else is equal, how much would you seriously consider paying for a decent horse?

I'm looking for a safe cob type which can also perform in the show ring (aren't we all :D :eek:) Ideally I'd be prepared to pay up to about £3000 for the right horse and that's with reservations :eek:, I've seen a website that tries to justify higher prices (£5000 and over) and Ok I see their point but still question some of the prices for horses that haven't "done" that much :confused:

I've seen horses priced at 10k, 15k etc etc but for the ordinary run of the mill horsey person surely that is out of the question.

i don't see why for £3,000 you cannot get a decent riding cob. i know i have looked at dealer sites where they want £6K for a 5yo that has done bugger all and you wonder why. and often this is a cob being sold as a novice ride, just the age they begin to become delinquents.....

you could try to get an ex police or army horse on loan - they will be older though they sometimes sell on the ones that aren't quite steady enough so you could try their trainers and see if they have anything as often they are trying to find good homes for them.

I agree with big ears.

For what I want I don't need a horse with a proven record in the ring so 3 grand would be more than enough for my needs, even £2,500 would do it. Those with competion experience tend to fetch highter prices.

Cobs are going for a fair bit at the moment, typical to be the time you are looking :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are some out there for £3000, you may just have to look harder though! :)

Good luck!

Ive got a haffy mare thats quiet and done a bit of jumping up for £1950 just needs a routine and a mummy to love her :)

Depends what you mean by 'perform in the showring'.

If you are looking for something for low level RC all rounder and safe and sane then £3000-£5000 is reasonable depending on size, scope, your skills etc.

If you are looking for something classy enough to do show cob well then £10000 will be a minumum unless you are very lucky!

I've posted before that I'm looking for a horse for me and the OH and I'm taking my time so I can find the right one for us. There are other issues which are holding me back, such as my fitness level, having recently had a major operation :eek: but it doesn't stop me looking Lol :D

I look at the "horses for sale" websites most days and I'm constantly amazed at some of the prices some people are asking for horses, "cloud cuckoo land" springs to mind in many cases. Ok I realise that a horses worth is partly based on how much someone is prepared to pay for it but some people push the boundaries at times.

Anyway if all else is equal, how much would you seriously consider paying for a decent horse?

I'm looking for a safe cob type which can also perform in the show ring (aren't we all :D :eek:) Ideally I'd be prepared to pay up to about £3000 for the right horse and that's with reservations :eek:, I've seen a website that tries to justify higher prices (£5000 and over) and Ok I see their point but still question some of the prices for horses that haven't "done" that much :confused:

I've seen horses priced at 10k, 15k etc etc but for the ordinary run of the mill horsey person surely that is out of the question.

i payed £9,000 for my old dressage fresian x horse

six years ago I bought Clint for £2,500 from a dealer, his only fault he weaves, put a grill up and job done!

he is a 17hh trakenher x dutch warmblood, he had only been cut and broken 3 months before I bought him, (he was six years old) he has covered and has kept his beautiful stallion neck, he is a total god, he was frightened of his own shadow when I got him, and with a lot of love and trust both ways, he has blossomed into a fabulous boy, I have competed in dressage (affiliated) with him up to elementary and I have had the best fun every year with him, I fell in love with a stunning horse, and will love him for all that he is, all of his life and forever more.

Nobody has ever believed what I paid for him, and I hope that they also think that to pass over a horse with a vice may not be such a good idea in the future!

Just those two words in the same advert (safe and cob) seem to push the price right up. I think it also depends what you mean by "perform in the show ring". A good show cob will be expensive, simple as, and it won't necessarily be safe !

On the other hand if you are looking for something that you can take to a few local shows for fun, do some jumping and unaff dressage, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to find a good type for £3k.

I paid £2500 for my cob three years ago, as a 5 year old. He has come on so much, still not safe in the showring, and I was offered £5500 for him a couple of months ago. He also has a blemish, so would never show that well, yet still people would pay silly money for him because he is a weight carrier and fairly quiet.

I hope you do find a good horse for £3000, but I think you may struggle!

My budget for the horse described in my sig is 5k - I don't expect to get anything that matches that for less I want no hang-ups, ifs or buts!

i think horse prices have shot up at the moment cobs seem to be right up there but they will turn a hoof to eneything cheap to keep i have a show cob and to be very honest and iv always said it id pay as much as i could for another i wouldnt want your run of the mill or a common head id want something very nice you have to look at it every day so if i wasnt sure about it id not buy it you may find one cheap but iv seen hardly eney at that price that isnt green or without a vice or blemish dont get me wrong my own has a small blemish but wasnt bought with one that happend while iv owned her and the yard i keep myn at wont have eneything on with a vice id have to move it off or sell it but thats yard rules and other owners dont like it i kept myn for a few years on another yard next to a wind sucker and she never once did it

Depends what you're after :). Personally i, in my entire life can only see me wanting to buy these types of horses/ponies:
1)Bombproof happy hacker
2)Companion pony/shetland
3)Youngster to bring on
4)OTTB TB
5)Broodmare
6)Allrounder (ODEs, fun rides etc)

1)My budget would be about 2500-3000
2)My budget would be about 750
3)My budget would be about 1500-2000
4)My budget would be about 2000 max
5)My budget would be about 2000
6)My budget would be about 3500-4000

I'd never want an eventing horse or anything schooled to a high level in any discipline because i'm a leisure rider and not interesting in serious competing - so my budget is significantly lower than a lot of other people's would be :). Of course prices vary and it's probable that prices will change before i buy, but that is just what i personally would be willing to part with for the horses/ponies that i wanted :).

Depends what you're after :). Personally i, in my entire life can only see me wanting to buy these types of horses/ponies:
3)Youngster to bring on

3)My budget would be about 1500-2000

I paid £3,000 for Lexi....

Totally unhandled 3yo 16.2hh Holstein x ISH (has good SJ bloodlines). I felt that I paid a good price for her - I have just backed her, and she is a total dream to ride/handle.

Good price for what you got, but i'd be after a pony to bring on for hacking/as a family pony, and i'm not too bothered about breeding :).

Am looking for exactly the same-cob who can jump-it does happen! £3000 also my budget-seems impossible and people want silly money for youngsters who hack, but don't school or much older horses-just don't want anything ancient as I want a forever horse.

My budget for the horse described in my sig is 5k - I don't expect to get anything that matches that for less I want no hang-ups, ifs or buts!

You should be sorted, then, cos my £3000 is too little. If I had £5000, I'd be viewing every day! There's tons on Horsemart and horse and hound! Have you looked at Stubley Hollow-hell of a way to travel but looks worth it.

i don't see why for £3,000 you cannot get a decent riding cob. i know i have looked at dealer sites where they want £6K for a 5yo that has done bugger all and you wonder why. and often this is a cob being sold as a novice ride, just the age they begin to become delinquents.....

you could try to get an ex police or army horse on loan - they will be older though they sometimes sell on the ones that aren't quite steady enough so you could try their trainers and see if they have anything as often they are trying to find good homes for them.

Sorry maybe I worded my original post wrongly :eek: I wasn't saying I couldn't find a cob type for round about £3000, I've seen quite a few which would fit the bill TBH, more often than not they are down south though which means having to travel a fair distance. I'm in the NW of England near Liverpool.

To explain a bit further, I'm returning to riding after a 10 year break and although I appreciate prices have risen in those 10 years it sometimes appears that some of the prices I see are rather OTT. I've seen a similar topic on another "horsey" forum and the prices people were claiming they would pay for a horse, having seen the "for sale" websites, were ridiculously low. I just wanted a balance really about what people were prepared to pay these days to see if I was being a skinflint :eek: :D

Thank you for the suggestion about ex police/army horses, that hadn't crossed my mind but I will look into that, I've got quite a lot of police contacts who might be able to help.

An example of a silly price near us was someone asking £5000 for a 12h pony which had vices and had done nothing, was a mare who they had tried to put in foal but wouldn't "take", now ok I've been out of the game for 10 years but even to me that was way over the odds :eek:

Thank you for everyone elses replies, they have been very useful, I think I might have to adjust my budget :eek:

*skinflint annie slinks back to her corner:D*

Last edited:
I paid only £1500 for Kia and he was dragged in off a field and came with nothing and was 12 years old!!

Now I am looking for a baby welshy with good breeding that will do well showing hopelfully and be the allrounder I am looking for and I will pay anything up to £3000 for a good one. Only looking for yearling or two year old as I want a blank canvas but dont mind paying up to that.

Wouldnt pay over that for anyhorse that was just to stay on a yard and have the outings to local shows and comps. If you were wanting it for the big time then fair enough but anything over that it just silly money.

Nikki xxxx

newrider.com