Buying a horse (where or how)

I can’t understand why people don’t just include videos in for sale ads? Any and every online ad I see, where people can comment asks for video. It’s a Great way to rule in or out whether they are what you’re looking for,

I will add to my frustrations with buying, horses that are not in work. If they’re advertised as not being in work, that’s fair enough. But I went to see one ‘in full work’ recently. As I discovered, after I had travelled for 3 hours to view it, It had had 18 months off work - out comes the lunge gear as the horse was ‘being a bit naughty’ because, this would only be his second ride coming back into work. I said I would not ride, thanks, bye! If I were a more brave/less diplomatic person, I would have told them they really need to get the horse in work BEFORE getting people out to view.

Reactions: Huggy
Videos do seem to be more common in adverts now, but they're often edited and sometime cleverly enough that you wouldn't know if you weren't looking for it so I never found them that useful except the times when I looked and thought it was lame.

Reactions: Ninepins
I saw an ad recently. Got my hopes up and inquired. The description sounded just the ticket. Asked if horse had and quirks, health issues. Came back a no. Horse had been professionally schooled last year. Got sent the videos and some stills. First video i looked at horse was being ridden round the arena. Tossing his head all over the place. My first thought that horse looks like a headshaker. If that horse had been professionally schooled why was it all over the place. Looked at a still and whilst the picture was blurred it looked very much like the horse was wearing a nose net.

My heart sank. I did feel sorry for the horse if he was a headshaker. Having spent 5 years with one, no way would i knwingly buy another. But i would have expected the seller to have declared this when i asked if it had any vices or health issues.

Reactions: Jessey
Hi there again. I am not looking to buy a horse now but eventually - hopefully next year.

I am sure many of you have bought horses, but

1) Where did you buy them from? (Advertising? From Riding Schools? From friends/families...etc)
2) If you have bought them via advertising, how do you know this horse was right for you?
3) Most importantly, were they (majority of them) honest from there description? Ever come across from dishonest advertisement?
Hi,
1. good websites to look on... ehorses, preloved, freeads, cheshirehorses, although only that last one if you live near cheshire.
ask around at riding schools and look at tack/feed shop postboards.
if you live in wales there is a horse mart in Llanybydder, Ceredigion. that goes on on the 4th Thursday of each month. (i will be there, lol)

2. i looked and if there was a horse that looked like is fits the requirements then i ring up, ask a BUNCH of questions and ask for more photos/videos and then if it seems good then ask to view it so you can see what it is like in person.

3. a lot of people are dishonest. BUT... if an advert states clearly that he has a problem e.g he is quite spooky or he doesn't like his feet being picked up then that person is being honest and you know that the rest of the advert will most likely be honest.
I have come across quite a few dishonest adverts so just be careful.

I hope i could help. (i have bought 6 horses before so lol)
Love Ellie Equestrian. xxx

newrider.com