Buying a horse who has been turned away

showqa

Jan 31, 2008
If you're going to view a 7 year old horse who has been turned away for a few months, what can you expect to see during the viewing? Can you expect to see it ridden? If not, how on earth can you make a sensible decision?

If you're going to view a 7 year old horse who has been turned away for a few months, what can you expect to see during the viewing? Can you expect to see it ridden? If not, how on earth can you make a sensible decision?

There is no reason at all why you cant see it ridden and ride it yourself. Just dont get on first, let the sellers do that. If they come up with excuses then walk away.

A 7 year old should be established enough to have a few months off without any major problems. That includes traffic, I wouldn't expect a horse to become traffic shy because it had been turned out.

Treat the viewing like any other just dont expect it to be very fit and gallop and jump (although a cross pole wouldn't hurt). Most horses maintain some level of fitness moving round the field.

My 34 year old doesn't get ridden often but if I got on him after a few months I could take him for a short hack round the fields and do 5 minutes in the school. 20 years ago I turned him away for a year when I was pregnant, when I got back on he took off and it took me most of the moor to stop him :biggrin:

If it was turned away for an injury or because the owner couldn't manage it then its a different story.

Thanks RTK. As I understand it at the moment, it's only been turned away because the owner has been snowed under with work and hasn't had the time.

Both of mine were 'turned away' when I went to view them, especially Rio :D Agree that you should treat it exactly as per any other viewing, the only proviso is that they may not be fit enough to gallop about or really test their wind. We had to truncate Rio's vetting from a 5* to a 2.5* :)

Just make sure you go in with your eyes wide open. A lot of the time, horses are sold from the field because they have been injured or have behavioural issues.

Dont take anything at face value, check and double check, and make sure someone else gets on it first!

Sorry to hi jack but what about a horse the owner is too scared to ride but they get a more experienced friend/ instructor to ride it and then you ride after? Just asking because I bought my mare even though her owner wouldnt canter her (she was physically shaking after a trot poor thing!) and at the sceond viewing her friend rode the horse first over a jump before I got on. Another friend of mine refuses to ride her horse (long story) and if they came to sell him she would not get on him and get someone else to ride instead. Would this put buyers off too? It didnt put me off but I am daft!

Thanks Skippy's Mum - very good points and will take it onboard.

Does sound a bit too good to be true at the moment. 7 year old WB gelding - very sane, done RC stuff and hacks out nicely, sound - £1400?? Sounds a bit cheap and it has been turned away for 6 months which seems a long time for just work commitments.

What do you cover in a 2.5 vetting?

I don't think its that cheap given what's going on a the risk of a hay shortage being thrown around...best just take a experianced person and get a 5 stage vetting.

Sounds reasonable to me, it's a buyers market out there at the moment and the owner may just want rid for whatever reason.

What do you cover in a 2.5 vetting?

That was a joke :ninja: She would have been more suitable for a 2* vetting, which basically looks at condition, health and soundness without checking the horses reaction to being worked. I had a 2* vetting done on Tess, ironically she would have been completely capable of a 5* :) Might be worth considering having bloods taken at the vetting if things just seem too good to be true.

I wouldn't necessarily write a horse off just because the owner was too frightened to ride it, it's not unusual to have horses sold because the rider has lost confidence even if the horse is relatively blameless.

Jacks owner was to frightened to ride him, I spoke to his previous owner before her and was happy with what she had to say about him OH rode him the other day and he was a good boy.

Sorry I missed your joke Yann - doh!!!!

She's happy to lunge him but she does seem reluctant to ride him, even though I've said I understand he's not going to be at his best and will be unfit. Don't know - one of those slightly strange ones.

Sorry I missed your joke Yann - doh!!!!

She's happy to lunge him but she does seem reluctant to ride him, even though I've said I understand he's not going to be at his best and will be unfit. Don't know - one of those slightly strange ones.

Hmm have you mentioned you would want him vetted, sounds a bit dodgy to me

I agree Dolly's Mum - the horse isn't a million miles away from where I live, so might be worth just going to see anyway, but can't help wondering why she's reluctant to get it ready for ridden work. I'd CERTAINLY be getting it vetted, but might be worth saying that to her - may well put her off me!

I wouldn't waste my time or money unless the owner is honest.

Ask her straight out why the horse cant be ridden, if its just that she is scared then find out why. If its something you can live with or work through then fine. I can live with horses that get strong and take off but hate anything that naps or bucks.

If you dont get an honest answer I would walk away.

newrider.com