Buying a horse with sarcoids and bad feet

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I've been to look at a horse who has had sarcoids in the past. The owner treated them some years ago (homeopathically so im told) and the horse has been clear ever since. I can see a lot of scar tissue under the front legs where they had been. Cant feel any lumps in there now. My question is would you purchase a horse knowing it had previously had sarcoids.

Examined the sheath area and there are lumps in there but I couldnt make my mind up whether it was smeggy grease or whether they were lumps of something else.

I have read on here about different types of sarcoids and if there not growing etc leave well alone.
The horse is going to be vetted but just wondered what peoples thought were.

Also he has been unshod and the shoes have only just recently been put on. They are split and bits missing. Obviously bits missing will grow down in time but what about if it has lines growing up the hoof. By lines I mean the lines look as though they are cracks on the hoof wall. Could that with a change of diet and careful management be rectified slowly. If I go to have another look I will get some pictures of the feet to post, but that wont be for a few days, what do you think.

If you have any pictures of hooves that would have lines of cracks up I would be interested to see them to compare. So I could know if it looks fixable or not.

Chips slits and cracks wouldn't worry me and are well within the scope of a decent farrier. I would be more interested in the shape of the feet if they had been neglected as that may have caused longer term problems in the legs.

I am not sure what 'homeopathic' remedy would get rid of proper sarcoids although some home/traditional medication has removed various warty growths from youngsters. If the horse has had sarcoids removed by a vet this will be reported in your vetting and probably excuded from insurance cover.

newrider.com