buying young horses, bringing them on, then selling them. Love to hear your stories x

G

Guest 2

Hey People.
Well i am feeling kind of down at the moment (nothing to do with horses, something to with a horrid person leaving a comment months ago and ive only just got it on another website).
So anyways, trying to get my mind away from that matter. So i was thinking do any of you buy young horses (4-6 years old) which are green and broken in, and then bring them on for a few years, compete them etc. and then sell them afterwards?
I am thinking of doing this one year, with some help of experienced adult friends.
Would love to hear your stories :) xxxx

I do the first two ... I buy young horses, start them, bring them on ... compete .. it's just that one last little thing that I have trouble with .. just the actual 'selling' them thing. That's not so important is it ? I mean, it's kind of nice to have more horses year on year ..... (how long do you think my husband will put up with this irresponsible behaviour ?? )

Never ever in my wildest dreams did i consider taking on a youngster when i thought about buying my first ever horse (although i have broken in youngsters in the past and had a share horse for ages and ages- just didn't have the money myself until this year!!!). What have i got- a gorgeous 3 1/2 year old piebald cob, broken but very very green. So have taken him back to basics a bit of lungeing, long reining, walks in hand and a bit of ridden work and he is coming on lovely- helps that he has a fantastic, quiet temperament and doesn't stress about things just gets on with it!!!

As for selling- nah i don't think i will be doing that- gonna wait and see what he happens to be quite good at before we do any competing although i would love to break him in to drive in a couple of years once we have all the basic foundation and he is hacking out nicely and not getting spooked by things!!!

But yeah so far it has been a huge learning curve- 1 step forward 2 steps back kind of thing but immensley rewarding once he learns something and gets good at it. Wouldn't change the experience for the world and am glad that i have got a youngster that i can train up rather than an older horse that might be more set in it's ways- he's my blank canvas (there's a scary thought) but i'm sure he will be nice and well manered in the end.

oh sorry i didnt realise they were old :eek: a thing came up at the bottom of my screen saying similiar posts and i presumed they were recent ones and didnt look at the dates :eek:

sorry

newrider.com