Caffeine in tea and coffee

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I have to avoid caffeine and buy de-caff. However, I am not entirely convinced it is free of the stuff. Does anybody actually know the technicalities and if it really is as free of it as it states? I still find that if I drink more than say one cup a day I have an increase in my rotten heart palpitations (doctor told me to cut caffeine out). Does anybody else find this?

Don't know all the sciency stuff but I switched to caffeine free tea and I notice the lack of my daily 'kick' in the morning. Heh ho, need to get my rocks off some other way!

I miss the real stuff too! I've had this condition for years (had all the tests to rule out serious stuff) and the doctor could only say maybe coffee and tea were to blame - and anything with aspartame in. So, I have to avoid sweets, coke............all the good stuff basically! Tho I do drink proper coke - naughty naughty................

I moved to green tea about a year ago it tastes pants but after to many overseas tours where the milk is pants I changed. However I really notice the difference when I have a cup of coffee

I moved to green tea about a year ago it tastes pants but after to many overseas tours where the milk is pants I changed. However I really notice the difference when I have a cup of coffee

I tried something similar a long time ago, it really didn't suit me - so I ended up just drinking bottled water for a while (our tap water is hideous as it comes off a natural spring and when we had it tested it contained high amounts of something quite wrong according to the environmental department!)

I have to be careful with coffee, only one or two cups a day.

I drink tea by the gallon with now effect, except I do stop around six in the evening or I find it difficult to sleep.

Aspartame is really horrid, it gives me palpitations and the 'trots' ghastly stuff

Last edited:
I can't drink any sort of tea made with camillia sinensis (common tea) as it gives me really awful nausea for some reason. I do drink redbush though, you get used to it really quickly and you can drink it with milk like normal tea.

I drink lots of tea, cannot take coffee unless very weak, get very migrane like symptoms on aspartame and several other sweeteners but ok if I have real sugar with caffeine

Daughter used to have a serious coffee habit, (think two desert spoonfuls a cup, about every two hours) but has now switched to tea as she was getting palpitations!!

I think you may have two things going on, caffeine intolerance and also sweetener allergy!!

I have drunk decaf coffee for years..I started with decaf tea late last year. I can't say I noticed any difference between normal & decaf tea. With coffee I have to be careful as I get very "hyper" & then get the coffee come down .

I drink tea and herbal tea though sugar or sweetners.

I would opt for caffeine free tea if it didn't taste like dish water!

Check out squash as those have lots of crap in as well as caffeine, in debt so do some prescription drugs!

My wife has to drink caffeine free due to her thyroid and high cholesteral [wrong spelling] it tastes like crap.

I'm a tea gal and usually drink about 6 or 7 cups a day. I swapped to de-caff a few years ago and felt rough and had a headache for a fortnight whilst I went through withdrawal!

newrider.com