Cairngorm 100

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Copied off FB (posted by Cairngorm100) - in case anyone is interested:

“Entries are now open for the 2019 Cairngorm 100 and 50 Miles Ride on Saturday 6th July.

In response to the evolution of endurance riding in Britain moving towards faster speed and flatter and increasingly repetitive loops, a small group of endurance riders in Scotland have banded together to put on a ride that is, we believe, a real challenge.

The Cairngorm 100 ride is a point to point route across the challenging and stunning scenery of the Cairngorm National Park to be completed in 24 hours. The route has many challenges along the way and calls for the riders to have the ability to navigate and manage both themselves and their horses for long stretches without crew assistance in real wilderness country. Riders are tracked throughout the route using GPS tracker and horses are vetted in line with recognised National and International standards at regular intervals. However, at times these checks will be carried out without crew assistance in the remoter parts of the route.
The winner of the event is not necessarily the first past the post. This award is based on horse management throughout the ride with points being scored at each vet check and the final winner chosen from the combination of the highest Vet score plus a score for the final arrival position. However, the “First Past the Post rider” will be recognised at the award ceremony.

The date for the 2019 CG100 ride has now been fixed for Saturday 6th July 2019. The classes for 2019 will be the 1 day 100 miles, starting at Glen Clova to the North of Dundee and a 50-mile class, starting at Mar Lodge close to Braemar. This location will also be the third Vet Gate for the 100-mile riders. The 50-mile route will follow the final section of the 100-mile route with both classes finishing at Nethy Bridge. The 50 mile class will be allowed 12 hours to complete the distance and the 100 milers 24 hours.

Riders completing 100 miles within the 24 hours will be awarded a CG100 Buckle and the 50 mile riders will be awarded the “Half Way There” Buckle.

We have made a few small changes to the route making it better than ever this year. The first being on the Balmoral Estate where, after passing Loch Muick, we take a track closer to Lochnager giving great views of the mountain not seen in previous years.

The second change is between Loch Builg and Tomintoul taking the riders along Glen Loin, cutting out the long valley track past Inchrory. On a clear day you get fantastic views over the North of the Cairngorms and on to the Moray Firth 35 miles away.

The shorter distance ride, the 50 miles, will now start at Mar Lodge and not Linn of Dee. This is closer to corralling and accommodation for the riders and crew than in previous years. Mar Lodge will also be used as one of the main Vet check location for the 100 miler riders.

This ride will certainly test your horse management, stamina and navigational skills with minimum crewing assistance. What we can say that you will have some stunning views while crossing the magnificent wilderness of the Cairngorms, Britain’s largest National Park, whilst climbing in excess of 4000 metres.

We will once again be limiting the number of riders in both the 100 mile and 50-mile classes so if you are intending to take part in the event you can secure a place by paying a 50% deposit of the ride entry fee (not accommodation, corralling or camping) which will be refundable up to one month before the ride date should you wish to withdraw.

If you are interested in taking part in the event send an e-mail to Penny on cg100entries@btinternet.com

For general enquiries please address these to Clive at cg100general.enquiries@btinternet.com.”

I can’t tell you how much I’d like to do this ride, what an experience it would be. Sadly Raf will never be fit enough and neither will I, unless I win the lottery and can afford to not work :(

I'd love to do it but competitive endurance doesn't really suit short and stocky horse or rider :D I was going to volunteer at it last year, just to experience the buzz of the event but the timings didn't work out for me, I might look to do it this year if things work out

Reactions: PePo and Bodshi
If Buddy saw that he would die of shock........he's probably kill himself on the ground considitions as he is not the most sure footed. Sounds amazing but way out of my comfort zone!

Reactions: Bodshi
It does sound very challenging for both horse and rider but what an achievement if you can do it. I’d be quite happy with the 50 miles ... although as it took us 7 hrs to do a little under 20 miles on the North Yorkshire Moors because the ground was hard and stony I don’t think there’s much hope for us up in the real mountains lol.

However, they do an organised ride prior to the event which I believe involves riding the full 100 miles over 4 days. Places are very limited. That would probably suit us more, but even so will require a level of fitness that I don’t think we can achieve.

Just imagine riding a supremely fit horse over the mountains, through the night (it will barely get dark up there at that time of year), riding on as the sun comes up and reveals the glorious views ... You’d be so tired when you finished, but a memory to keep forever.

Reactions: Jessey
However, they do an organised ride prior to the event which I believe involves riding the full 100 miles over 4 days. Places are very limited. That would probably suit us more, but even so will require a level of fitness that I don’t think we can achieve.
If only I had transport! I would love to do it

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com