Calmer for spooky horse?

Lolly-lu

Oct 22, 2008
East Sussex
Does any one give there horses a calmer to take the edge off spooking? My boy can be really spooky when schooling unless you get him working really hard, then he will concentrate, but still has to look. He can also throw big spooks when out on a hack and even in the field on his own.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of using calmers just to take the edge off, if so which ones, what was the effect?

Do you use anything with Polo, thought i might give it a shot, see if it makes a difference. I might try Magnitude, but wanted to hear if anyone had tried it or anything similar for the same reasons before buying

Second that, if the horse has a shortage of magnesium in their diet it will cause spookiness and over reaction in normal situations. If the horse is just highly strung it has no effect and won't do any harm.

There are various off the shelf magnesium oxide supplements but the cheapest way to feed it is to buy bulk magnesium oxide by mail order or from a barefoot trimmer.

I feed magnitude to my welshie who is spooky. Like yours he will spook in the field on his own as well as when schooling unless worked in/concentrating hard.

I have found it has helped but I would like it to help more then it does! I won't say it hasn't made a big difference because it has made a huge difference. He doesn't spook as much but he does still spook.

I am thinking of combining magnitude with brewers yeast as breyers yeast has b vitamins that can help with stressy/nervy horses (so I've been advised)

Do you use anything with Polo, thought i might give it a shot, see if it makes a difference. I might try Magnitude, but wanted to hear if anyone had tried it or anything similar for the same reasons before buying

No hun, he is forward going and quite spooky especially on hacks, but I know when he spooks he just jumps out of his skin and I can cope with that. My friend uses mag on her fresian and seems to work well

What is it with spooky Welshies?!

Right, i'm trying magnitude as of tomorrow. Even if it doesn't work, it's worth a try..

I don't think they 'spook' as much as 'get bored' If yours is like mine...he LOVES to work, but only working hard anything else is just a bit of fun and fun = spooks!

I have found the magnitude helps but I have also found working mine at least 5/6 days out of 7 helps as well.

I have used Global Herbs instant calming sachets on our two and I have to say they do take the edge off. They're not cheap tho - so for a longer term calmer I'd probably try something like Settleeze. I think it may have helped calm them when they moved home to live as initially they were both quite upset.
I tried a long term calmer on Joe during the winter when he was on box rest but I think it was a waste of money tho! It had a green lid, I can't just remember the brand name...

I don't think they 'spook' as much as 'get bored' If yours is like mine...he LOVES to work, but only working hard anything else is just a bit of fun and fun = spooks!

I have found the magnitude helps but I have also found working mine at least 5/6 days out of 7 helps as well.

This is exactly what my Ri said. He has got too much going on in his head and needs to be kept occupied..

I have used Global Herbs instant calming sachets on our two and I have to say they do take the edge off. They're not cheap tho - so for a longer term calmer I'd probably try something like Settleeze. I think it may have helped calm them when they moved home to live as initially they were both quite upset.
I tried a long term calmer on Joe during the winter when he was on box rest but I think it was a waste of money tho! It had a green lid, I can't just remember the brand name...

Magnitude has the green lid. ideally i would like something i can use daily (if it works) i think the sachets might work out a bit expensive. Worth keeping in mind, thanks.

Yeah, the sachets do work out a bit expensive, but I used to use them for occasions such as before loading up to travel etc. I even gave Storm one during a particularly horrible thunderstorm - it kept her a bit saner!! (she was pegging around her box at 100 miles an hour after each lightning flash!!!)

Don't know if it helps ...but I've just been advised that giving brewers yeast as well as magnesium could be very beneficial to help with spooking ..worth a thought :)

Another spooky welshie here, but only on hacks when he is bored and wants something to do. Making his own games, I am not really sure if he is actually scared, hard to tell, unless it is a sudden big scare. Goes sideways round everything just for fun.

Tried all sorts of calmers, none worked, so obviously not a physical deficiency.:D maybe a mental one.

newrider.com