Calmers for horses - any experts??!!

rach4uk4

Colourful Comedian :)
Sep 9, 2005
brentwood, essex. UK
my gelding has the tendency to be stressed and spooky at unpredictable times, he is mainly ok but when he does spook he is very sharp.
atm i have got him on Nupafeed liquid calmer as have had superb results with this in the past on horses i have worked with, however has made next to no difference with my boy :eek::confused: lol.
I am considering NAF magic or equistro betamag 12 anyone any experiences with these??
he is fairly bold, always wants to be upfront wen hacking in groups, head of the heard in the field etc so not neccissarily a nervous horse just sensitive and stressy and will sweat to oblivion when uptight like this.
another thing, he was cut at 5yrs would this be a contributing factor??

hiya

i would recommend NAF magic calmer. my friend has a tb and he was very fizzy but after switching to NAF magic calmer it has made a big difference and he seems so much quieter.

From personal experience I do find the nupafeed is more effective in mares - good reason really as mares tend to void magnesium very readily when they are stressed.

With my friend's gelding it didn't have a huge effect until she also added in a calcium supplement in the form of limestone flour. We've susbsequently found that our land is relatively calcium poor compared to my trainers land where we had the horses previously.
Magnesium and calcium are co-dependent minerals in biological systems which means that if the calcium is low the magnesium won't work in quite the way you want it to.

I found naf magic really good with my crazy tb mare but I have a friend who swears by the nupafeed calmer,

Can i ask.. What else are you feeding??
xx

I would reccommend NAF Magic, although I've heard it doesnt work on all horses, I've heard about alot that it has worked well for.

It might also be worth experimenting with feed, ever since I increased the amount of conditioning cubes for my horse she chilled right out, so she now must get something from the conditioning cubes which she was lacking previously, to the extend I took her off the calmer.

Me too, but I think it is just magnesium oxide which I 've used before and I think it does help. Blue Chip Karma also works but is expensive.

yeah i think it is just magnesium oxide, i though about karma as well but like you say its expensive. i think magnitude is pretty much a cheaper version of NAF magic only without the herbs :)

i have a 8 year old gelding, he is frightened of everything one day ,then quite chilled the next, so unpredictable, i have tried loads of calmers, and to be honest none of them make any difference with him, in the first few weeks they seem to make a slight difference ,then hes back to being the same old spook, he was gelded at about 2 years,

my blacksmith said i should try the mares supplement oestress(i think its called) or something like that, but as yet i havent, his mum uses it on her very spooky gelding and it works a treat

so that may be worth a try

If nupafeed is magnesium based and not working then its likely the horse isn't deficient in magnesium and feeding other magnesium based calmers isn't likely to work any better. Or possibly the dose in the calmer you already tried is too low and you'd be better off getting plain magnesium oxide (that's what magnitude is, or think you can get it on ebay and various other places on the internet) and trying different doses.

I have tried NAF Majic and Magnatude. Both worked for my horse but I have changed his feeding to the new Mollichaff Camler.

He has now been on the chaff for about 8weeks and I have managed to take him off an additional calming suppliment as the chaff has added magnesium and its a complete feed.

Its working out cheaper for me now (which is a bonus with the way things are just now):D

My arab boy used to be on naff magic and it worked well, have just switched over to magnitude due to the difference in cost and seems to be having the same effect but only been a week so far. Think with him it is definatly the magnesium that makes the difference rather than the herbs.

The magic looks much nicer a bit like a tub of mixed herbs whereas the magnitude is a fine white powder and you only give a tiny scoop.

My arab boy used to be on naff magic and it worked well, have just switched over to magnitude due to the difference in cost and seems to be having the same effect but only been a week so far.

Have you thought of swapping to an unbranded magnesium oxide heavy instead then.

I get 900g for £11.49p + £2.99p p&p so its cheaper still than magnitude.

HI i,m no expert but ive tried every calmer on the market on my very spooky ott thoroughbred, the only thing that has worked up to now is making sure he,s on a no sugar no cereal diet, i use oil as his main source of energy and lots and lots of fibre . over the past three years ive spent fortunes on calmers and none ever worked his feed just made him to "wired up" .I stumbled on this diet as he got laminitis in the summer and to manage that his feed was changed and weve never looked back. Hope this helps.......:)

Equimins calmer is really good for both mares and geldings. Its made a terrific change to our nutty mare and also to my friends gelding. They have their own website so you can read about it - www.equimins.co.uk :)

newrider.com