Calmers - who uses what? why? and how soon did you notice any change?

RRA

Jan 30, 2008
Berkshire
Hello! well the title asks it all really. I'm just about to look into the different calmers available for my girl and thought I'd see what others had tried and tested and how happy (or not) you were with the results.

I don't think with Thea that it's hormonal and she is generally quite a placid type until it comes to being asked to do something she doesn't want to do in the school or she is a bit outside her comfort zone when hacking.

Calmers have been suggested to me by someone who had good results with them in the past and was talking about the herbal remedies...what have you all tried?

Last edited:
cloud could be a bit stressy and as we ere moving her tried her on naf magic- worked!!! Less stressy and mostly chilled- you can get the syringes to (for anycomps we go 2 or in case) i think its a case of ** horse cos each horse will react diffferently ie it might work or not. cas eeof trial and error methinks

I used dodson and horrell herbal calmer last winter for Forest. I found it worked after 2 weeks and then he was fine as long as he had it every day.

When my ex YO was looking after him she deliberatly didn't give him the calmer, because she said he 'Didn't need it'.

When I came back, un aware that she hadn't given it to him and rode him he reared up and I broke my thumb when I fell off. I was livid, and started him on it straight away, and got my calm little horsie back again :)

I used dodson and horrell herbal calmer last winter for Forest. I found it worked after 2 weeks and then he was fine as long as he had it every day.

When my ex YO was looking after him she deliberatly didn't give him the calmer, because she said he 'Didn't need it'.

When I came back, un aware that she hadn't given it to him and rode him he reared up and I broke my thumb when I fell off. I was livid, and started him on it straight away, and got my calm little horsie back again :)

This is the one I was tempted to try first, I realise it will be a bit 'horses for courses' but sounds like it made a real difference to your boy. Thanks for your reply :)

I used D&H Stroppy Mare on my horse. I think it worked. She certainly wasnt as bad as she was last year, but saying that, situations have changed so she now gets turnout this winter - which I believe helped.

I'll continue giving the suppliment during the winter months though, just for peace of mind.

Is that one of the reasons she's your ex YO?? That's bad practice not doing what you'd aked for your horse :rolleyes:

The active ingredient in all calmers is magnesium. So just skip the nice tasting, and pretty packaging and buy some magnesium. Few teaspoons on feed or in drinking water and you will have a calm horse.
It is working wonders for our VERY spooky shetland gelding.

i cant help on the calmer front but my friend uses Naf magic before shows, i dont think it really helped though

dont know if it is in my mind but bach remedies have really worked for us, you could see if there is anything on this link that could be useul?

The active ingredient in all calmers is magnesium. So just skip the nice tasting, and pretty packaging and buy some magnesium. Few teaspoons on feed or in drinking water and you will have a calm horse.
It is working wonders for our VERY spooky shetland gelding.

Sorry to disagree, but the active ingredient in LOTS of calmers is magnesium, and I agree it's cheaper to buy it straight than in a fancy package- I buy mine on e-bay, however it is NOT the active ingredient in ALL calmers- some are herb based, generally valerian, and work in a different way!

Magnesium based calmers only work if your horse is magnesium deficient, which lots are especially at this time of year, because the grass is growing too fast to 'build' any magnesium up... and the horses are eating it too fast of course!

I have found that the magnesium works to a certain extent with my hoss, though not really enough, so I'm going to try a herb based one next.

I think we tried vitamin B1 at horse shows last year on my gelding. It did seem to help with him in the show ring. There are vit B1 and magnesium combos you can get. I don't think it is something that works on all horses, but I noticed a difference with my gelding. Though for the last show I lunged and rode him before I put him on the trailer. He was a little tired when we got to the show and only interested in his stall, his hay, and his water and not in the business of the show grounds. He is also a year older and more experienced so there is something to be said for that.

Have tried Topspec calmer - on Joe the gelding - didn't really do a lot but am told unless he's deficient in magnesium it won't do a lot. I can recommend Global Herbs instant calming sachets for a short term fix - but they're not cheap and if you use them everyday you might want to have a re-think and go for a long term one - usually cheaper in a bigger tub.
Have also used a product called Settleeze, but its effects weren't huge, quite subtle - but I can't honestly say if it was just that Storm was settling in - and if the product helped would she have been a lot worse without? There are so many its just trial and error - and asking other people of course.

go on to natural horse supplies, there are different options on there for calmers, i have got my mare on cal mag as a start but have ordered a herbal calmer as she will be allowed to be ridden again in 4 weeks after 5 months of box rest :eek:.

newrider.com