Camera mount question

SeeingSpots

Toffee - Spotted Hotshot
Feb 27, 2015
North East, UK
www.instagram.com
Ok so as some of you know, I hack a lot on Toffee and have a GoPro which I attach to a chest mount. I use it for safety (idiot driver protection) and also to get some nice screen shots of my hacks as some of the views are beautiful. Problem with the chest mount is that it doesn't obviously turn with my head and i had some idiot come flying up my butt a few weeks ago and couldn't record the whole thing as it wasn't on my hat so one got him as he past me. Rubbish as he could have just accelerated after he passed (which he didn't - he flew past dangerously and close) and I had no proof of any wrongdoing. The whole thing really frightened Toffee too who was already in a stressed state as he'd been naughty and fighting with me.

Anyway I have looked into head mounts and found that on tests run, there was no indication that head cams caused any more injury to people than without them BUT there were no tests run on riding hats, just climbing helmets and suchlike. Very annoying. I looked up some more info about riding hats and found that the general opinion is that the camera must breakaway easily to be considered totally safe. If it breaks away in a fall then it massively minimises risk.

So question for all you hat cam wearers!

- How do you fix it to your hat: Adhesive mount or elastic band
- Is the mount, the same as the GoPro mount (pictured below)?
- Has anyone had a fall and does it breakaway easily or not?
- Experiences with it?

This is the mount I am looking to purchase:

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 12.55.32.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 12.55.43.png

And it would literally sit on my hat as the pictures show, hat silk and all.

Opinions?

I bought a elastic strap mount off eBay and am very happy with it. I normally use mine on a fixed peak hat but if I used it with my jockey skull would use with silk too. x

Reactions: SeeingSpots
No idea TBH ( she says touching wood) but would hope it would ping off:) could you not attach the camera to centre of martingale/breastplate ring for example if that was a concern. I know it would be lower but would still record in front of you. x

I looked into a tail camera off eBay when I got mine as my boy wasn't great in traffic and ( due to having my hands full mid tantrum) I couldn't turn to look behind at the looneys the approached too close but he's a lot better than he was and our hacking mainly off road. Some drivers are lunatics though:mad::eek:, I used to do loads of roadwork as a teen but now only bother if I need to as a means to get from a to b. x

I have similar to pictured (ebay special) and I also ues a head torch with similar elastic band in winter. I've not had a fall but would expect either to come off if I did, or at least stretch and move so I think its unlikely to cause issues. My head torch has come off a few times just picking out feet bent over snd once when we clipped a branch at speed :)

I have exactly that set up for mine. I've not fallen off so no real idea what would happen, but I hope it would just get knocked off. I suppose if you completely face planted head on it might get pushed back with force into your helmet and do some damage, same as if you happened to hit your head on a rock in a similar fashion. It's just one more risk in a whole host of risks you take when riding.

I have mine on the elastic hat as in your pic, its never made an impact when I come off and I'm terribly "head conscious" after being knocked out once (without a hat cam ;) ) it gives you the all round visibility your after, a chest or martingale mount just an't compete.

I use the elastic band too. I had a fall whilst using it and it pinged off.
You will need to angle the camera more downwards than those pics though or it will film too much sky and not where you're actually looking.

I use the elastic band too. I had a fall whilst using it and it pinged off.
You will need to angle the camera more downwards than those pics though or it will film too much sky and not where you're actually looking.

Yes its surprising how much you have to angle the camera down! It took me a few times to adjust it just right as the first few times it was mostly sky :rolleyes:

newrider.com