Can a horse use its back end TOO much?!

a big overtrack shouldn't cause any problems as long as the front end can cope. some breeds have a big action with the backend naturally and their front end can't cope so they get extra wiggly to try and compensate. providing she can move in a straight line, bend correct and doesn't end up catching the back of her heels (i'm thinking if her back toes get long) or start forging then no it shouldn't be a problem (from my point of view).
what will be hard for her though, is to be able to collect. she may find shortening her frame quite difficult and it may be quite tense - if that is the case i would do a lot of lateral work (like shoulder in) that encourages a little collection but it will be more the horse's idea so more relaxed.
if her stride gets longer and longer going round the school that either suggests she is getting onward bound (in which case she may start to lose her balance) and it will make its more difficult to sit on her backend (rather than just stepping uner).
or she is simply getting more relaxed in her walk and hence stepping out more... without seeing it, it is hard to tell.

I have to say Coss I am consistently impressed with your responses to schooling related posts.

Your right, she does struggle to go in a straight line and did use to forge but this is improving as her schooling gets better - she had me frustrated for months at how difficult it could be to trot down the centre line!!

She also finds collection difficult but is getting there, although she does tend to get tense and her tail goes round like a windmill, plus she will buck if you ask for too much.

As you said, shoulder in has been really useful but if you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Honestly, I wish you could give me lessons!!! :p

:eek::p

the main thing is to keep the relaxation over her back and through her jaw. she sounds like you may need to hold her together quite a bit as the backend produces too much power for the front end to keep up with - how are you transitions? i suspect upwards will be far easier than downwards as you have to kind of lose the energy from the backend.
i would try and aim to sit her on her backend a bit more now that she is quite comfortable to step under her body. a horse can step very far under its body whilst its head is still in the air (i know that feeling all too well :rolleyes: ) so she needs to relax over the top line and shift her weight back. i would try some turn on/about the forehand and haunches. the turn about the forehand (i prefer doing it about as opposed to on in general but doing on the forehand for quarter turns may do her good, or spoil your halts ;)) will help her swing through her pelvis and keep her stepping under her body without propelling all the energy from the backend forward.
the turn about the haunches (pirouettes) will get her to sit on her backend more and allow the front end to stay free. hopefully by using those she will get more coordination mentally so she can control her own backend power and keeping the front end free (if that makes any sense :eek:)
i would only do short spells of shoulder in (many short spells as opposed to few long spells) as an aid to collect, sometimes using it solely to collect but sometimes collecting in preparation then asking for shoulder in so that she doesn't get into a habit of moving her shoulders over when you collect. the same with moving the hauches over, it is harder for a horse to move the haunches so i'd definately collect for a few steps, move the bum over, hold for a few steps, then ask to move in a straight line then allow the stride to lengthen again.
i hope that helps

Last edited:
newrider.com