Can anyone help me please?

Fjord Lover 101

Aug 24, 2007
Hi,
I am new to this sight but I'm looking to find a horse riding (english or western style) holiday anywhere in the world. I was hoping to find one where I would be able to ride Fjord horses on. Does anyone know of a holiday that would suit me?

Please post, I've found my own searching hasn't found much.
Thanks.

You're right – it's not easy. I've found a couple for you, one in Norway, one in France; the people at the Fjord pony society might be able to help, and I'm sure there are places in Sweden and Norway, if you google a bit more.

http://www.equinetourism.co.uk/worldwidehorseholidays/norway.asp

Ferme Relais de la Baie de Somme
M. and Mrs Bizet - 25 rue de la Gare - 80860 MORLAY PONTHOILE
Tel/Fax : +33 (0)3 22 27 07 11
E-mail : bizet-thierry@wanadoo.fr
Activities : Hacks - accompanied rides - rides across the Somme Bay (tides permitting), Crécy Forest, salt marshes
Type of mount : Somme Bay horses and Fjord ponies
Accommodation : Lodge (30 beds).
Prices : 1h30 : 15 € ; 2 hrs : 25 €; 3 hrs : 31 €. Day ride : 61 € (picnic included). Week-end ride : 165 €
Opening period : Between 1/03 and 15/11.

Fjord Horse National Stud Book
Association of Great Britain (Fjord Horse Society of GB)
Cilyblaidd Manor
Pencarreg, Nr. Lampeter
Carmarthenshire, SA40 9QL
Tel: 01570 480 090
Fax: 01570 480 012

Thank you soooo much!

Thanks I'll take a look at them! I've only found 1 and its not a holiday for people without taking their own horse

I have no idea what the situation is like now, but Glen Tanar Equestrian Centre in Aberdeenshire used to have Fjords - they had a mare in use for lessons/trekking, two broodmares, foals and a stallion (who was rather fun to ride :) )

That was over 10 years ago now, but they're still open and as she seemed to be a Fjord enthusiast she may still have some (more than she had when I was there, even!).

No website that I'm aware of, but here's the details:
http://www.newrider.com/Riding_Schools/schooldetails.php/614.html

And here's a random photo I just found online, which is from Glen Tanar, Fjord in the background (they dron't trim their manes into the crest the breed is known for):
http://www.helenshorseclub.org.uk/images/full_size/Session 1 #4.jpg

Let us know if you find anywhere fantastic to go - I love Fjords too, and would love to go riding on one again :)

Thank you . . .

thank you for the help.

i'll let you know if i can find anywhere. the only place of my knowlege is a centre i rode a fjord at in france. however i found they treated the horses badly (well a few people in particular did) and they put my novice (at the time) sister on a pony only just backed and broken! she ended up in hospital when they tried to take us down a rocky slope (very steep) to a river and her horse spooked reared and fell over luckily my sister came off just before the horse fell so it was only a minor injury but painfull all the same.

Glen Tanar Equestrian Centre at Aboyne in Aberdeenshire has Fjord Horses amongst their ponies. Please remember, Fjord HORSES are always HORSES, never, ever ponies. My big gripe and ambition in life is to stop people calling them ponies.

newrider.com