can anyone help

Eve

Jul 8, 2006
on friday my girl got colic she does suffer from it and last year i had the vet out about four times.last time the vet took blood sample and did some test i explained what i feed her as the yard owner said i was feeding her too much.

she is a 14 3 cob , winter feed is

breakfast 1 scoop pony nuts,1 scoop hi fi orignal chaff.a few carrotts
1 section of haysoaked

lunch 1 section of hay soacked

dinner same as breakfast but with 3 sections soaked.

last week was there first week on grass she gets mon,wed,fri, i was told on mon she got 1.30 mins wed not sure but fri had 3 hours.so for the last 2 weeks i have cut her feed down on half scoop of nuts and chaff no lunch hay and only 2 at night.also i explained to the vet she eats her poo and could this be a cause he didnt seem worried as he said all horse eat poo i know this is a lack of minerals i she has a mineral lickit which my instructor said get.

I as for her not to go on grass today but i put her out in the mud field only for the yard owner to say to me that your horse is eating poo that what is giving her colic i explained what the vet said and he said well there is a problem u need to get a feed supplyment and left in at that she does not get colic through the winter only when the grass feilds open which is may tilll late sep maybe oct. so what do u guy think. sorry its sooo long

forgot to add thet didnt get the vet out but spoke to the emergercy vet .as was told bye yard owners daughter that i could give her some bute.as she had some which i told vet and she was happy for me to do.would say that it was mild cause of colic .she did want to lay down and was curling her top lip she did poo four times and i walked her for about 30 mins now am just scared eveytime she has grass day

Is your horse in 24/7 in the winter? If not, why does she get hay at lunchtime - is this fed in the field or in her stable?

Is she a good doer and what is her workload? You do seem to be feeding a lot - and an awful lot more than I used to feed my skinny TB!

The grass is very rich at the moment - it isn't the long grass you need to watch out for, but the short shoots close to the ground.

You also mention she has been in the 'mud paddock' - is it sandy? Some horses tend to ingest sand if there isnt much grass and this can cause colic too.

Have you got a pic to post of her? Sorry for the questions, but to comment constructively they need to be asked! :)

during winter months they get about 1 to 2 hours in mud field .which is mud .if wather has been really bad ie rain then no horse can go in the field.yeah she is a good doer so you think im feeding her too much .so what should i do cut her grass time down the vet said that what i was feeding her was fine .nearly all the horse on our yard get a lunch feed.one horse on the yard is about 15 1 and is a cob she has breakfast lunch and dinner with a play ball full of pony nuts and carrots her night hay is about 4 5 sections of hay and she is a good doer everyone on the yard says that horse wiil expoled(sorry thats what i call over feeding.

hay is given in stable in haynet as horse go out in groups for mud field and grass field sorry got no pic.

Al horses DONT eat poo !!

They will eat poo if they are babies, if they are lacking in fibre or if they are lacking in vitamins.

You need to feed a vit/min supplement and prob change her to something like Happy Hoof and make sure she has hay or grass available ad lib. If she has no hay in mud field she will prob eat poo !!!

Cut out the pony nuts, and give a good vitamin suppliment with half a scoop of hifi lite and a a handful of high fibre cubes (or similar) - and give her ad-lib well soaked hay (in a double net if she's a piggy).

It sounds like she had a gassy type colic due to more grass than she is used to. Is your field really lush?

Eating poo is not normal and shows signs of a lack of vitamins/minerals. Your YO is talking rubbish if he says it is giving her colic - if she's eating poo she has some sort of fibre/vitamin defficiency.

Is there any way you can have her turned out in the 'mud field' with some soaked hay to keep her occupied?

have got her on a suppleyment now and have ask for her to only have 1 hour out on grass then to go in mud field maybe will be able to let her have a little bit longer out soon .her hay is already soaked i have a hay bar for her.sorry i should have not put pony nuts as its dobson and horrell high fibre nuts.i was watching her in her stable and she had done two poos and was not eating them she did sniff them but left them alone .i got the supplyment on thursday and was in her feed that night.

yes the grass is really lush. i suppose i could ask if she could been give hay in mudfield as she goes out on her own as the mare she was going out with was picking on her so i said that i dont want them out in mud together as she was kicking my mare and tryed to corner her in the field. thanks for your advice .

yes the grass is really lush. i suppose i could ask if she could been give hay in mudfield as she goes out on her own as the mare she was going out with was picking on her so i said that i dont want them out in mud together as she was kicking my mare and tryed to corner her in the field. thanks for your advice .

It sounds as though you are a good owner and doing the best you can for her. I hope she is ok and this is just a gassy colic due to the lush grass. It's so hard when we have to keep horses at livery and have to accept what is offered :(

We had a couple of colics last year due to the grass coming through - unfortunately we don't have much grass this year due to the bad spring - it's either fammine or feast here.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

newrider.com