Can anyone recommend me a joint supplement?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
As Roxy is 13 and has a bit of a clicking stifle, I thought I'd put her on a joint supplement now, prevention being better than cure and all that. What is worth me spending my money on?

Turmeric, linseed oil (or mirconised linseed or coconut oil/copra or olive oil) and black pepper. It is probably the cheapest option and I think Rubic is more comfy on that than she ever was on the likes of NAF superflex etc

Reactions: squidsin
If you are on facebook there is a turmeric users group that would be worth joining with loads of info on it.

Okey doke, although did I read somewhere that turmeric sends some horses a bit doolally, or did I just imagine that?

Vets recommend Cosequine. But its megga expensive and unless the insurance are paying, it can be a lot to find every few months. But, it does work - sometimes. Our Joe was kept sound for years off it. The insurance paid for the first year and then we took over, it was money well spent. It didn't really work for Storm though as I tried her on it too. You can buy it online a bit cheaper than from the vets though.

Okey doke, although did I read somewhere that turmeric sends some horses a bit doolally, or did I just imagine that?

It certainly hasn't had that effect with Rubic. Generally you build it up gradually and some people do find their horses feel very "well" on it, like they could on any feed, and the horse has gotten a bit spooky etc, at that point people reduce the quantity they are feeding slightly and that usually sorts it out. In my opinion, if a supplement is working well you could have the same result. I don't think it is the turmeric that causes the horse to go a bit "doolally" more that they are feeling better in themselves, at least that is my understanding of it.

We've fed a few.... Equiflex was cheap and didn't work. Cortaflex was ok. We now feed NAF superflex which is great. I also feed a natural liquid supplement called activgait made by pro equine. I've also just started feeding flaxseed oil 3 times a week. My farrier is a fan of top spec joint balancer too.

newrider.com