Can haylage send ponies a bit loopy???

Thyme & Me

Nov 23, 2011
When Thyme arrived I switched Charlie to haylage as Thyme needed a bit more condition. (They share a field so eat the same forage which is fed in the field). He has been more on his toes since then. He does get very frisky at the beginning of Spring just as the grass starts to grow too.... Is there a lot of sugar in haylage?

Yes it can :D Not sure about the sugar levels, but it's definitely more nutritious and can be like rocket fuel with some horses.

i reckon so, last year i got some horsage the blue one, and Ace was only on it for 4 days the change in him was incredible, he was not the pony i knew. Bolshy and very excitable, rude and then he developed lami 10 days later. I will never let him near the stuff again! x

Thanks guys. Right he's going back on hay. I've left him unrugged too so he can burn off the rocket fuel by keeping warm!

Yes it can though has less sugar than hay is usually higher in protein & from personal experience can send my boy daft as a brush.Also my friend's 16.3hh Cleveland Bay x TB is even worse & has never managed to be fed on it without coming home without her having bucked her off.

I must have pony not effected by it.
She has been on it adlib for two weeks, on box rest.
Not noticed anything, refused to eat the hay.
Hopefully using the nutrients to repair herself instead of going off her trolley then.

Well Charlie is VERY unimpressed with being back on hay. I put out 4 piles so he and Thyme don't fight. He went from pile to pile searching for the yummy grub before giving me a withering look and mooching off to eat muddy grass instead :tongue:

It muts be like giving children bran flakes after months of frosties!

newrider.com