Can horses get low grade lami in just one foot?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
o_O
Question in title - I've been watching a youtube by world horse welfare but no mention of it occurring in just one hoof / foot. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

It's uncommon but yes, normally when there is some preexisting condition or injury predisposing that foot to it. Bo managed to get lami in all 4 feet by galloping round like an idiot on hard ground in his field.

Thanks for the replies. I watched a youtube on it - whilst informative it puzzled me about actually diagnosing it. The classic symptoms I know are not always present and obvious - but it didn't really cover the subtle signs either.

I was worrying (there's a surprise!) about a mystery lameness Storm had yesterday. She was fine and dandy in the morning but at lunch time looked lame slightly. No heat, no obvious pulses, no swelling down tendons, nada. I suspected at first a grumbling abscess. I didn't carry on riding obviously - so we walked her round. She was not nodding lame, just subtle really. She felt jerky when I was on board - not right at all. Kept her in for the afternoon and by tea time she looked sound again.
Then it came to me: early that morning she'd been hooning around due to fog! she had been doing hand stands and general acrobatics! So am thinking pulled something or made something sore? Anyhoo she's back to normal today but I am giving her a day off just to be sure.

I always worry and look on the lammi side when I can't see or feel anything leg wise that's swollen.
She seemed worse on one leg - and reluctant to pick one hoof up at the front hence me wondering if low grade lam could be in just one.

Yep, you can definitely get laminitis in just one foot but, as others have said, it occurs more commonly in both front feet or all 4, depending on the cause. I have seen laminitis in just the one foot mostly when there is an injury to one of the front legs/feet that means that most of the horse's weight is being borne by the opposite leg/foot, and they may then develop laminitis in this supporting foot - called "supporting limb laminitis". Glad your girl is back to normal today.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com