can i introduce you all to ROMMY!!!!

one or two of you already know the story of rommy so please bear with me.. for the rest rommys story is rather long so i will try and condense it :)
rommy is a 7/8DWB 1/8TB and is now 7 years old, i bought him two years ago just rising 5 he had been backed and turned away, unfortunatly for him he was sent to a yard to be finished of prior to selling him. i wont go into exactly what happened to him but he was kept in the lorry overnight to teach him a lesson because he did not load very well:eek: while there he was also pulled over backwards :eek: and god knows what else, his owner found out and immediately brought him home. and he was sold locally.
i saw him and thought he had something, he was then about 15.0hh
considering what he had gone through he was a star and walked straight onto the lorry
got him home and found we had a problem he was a complete bag of nerves, in the stable you could not touch him suddenly if you raised your hand to stroke him he would fly across the stable to get away from you, he was in a terrible state, and when you sat on him he was so tense and had a bronking fit etc' etc' (i even got in touch with julie dicker will save that for another thread)
so i basically gave him the year of we did lots of ground work and he joined up with me within 10 mins of our first schooling, 99% of the work was loose schooling i did lunge him a couple of times too start with but after that it was all loose and we jumped looses as well.
during this year he changed completely and became so trusting towards us it was great . but at the end of the year he would still get very tense when ridden more so on right rein, probably the rein he was pulled over on.
so in dec' last year i sent him away to be re-schooled with a friend they took him back to basics and did a lovely job with him got him hacking out but he still had his bronking fits.
in june they thought they had got as far as they could with him, so i had him back and he is now with the guy who weaned him and backed him originally, and they have done wonders with him richard who rides him is so quite and when rommy gets tense he just gives him the rein and he relaxes straight away, he is now cantering on the left and right rein consistantly and so much more relaxed and happier, allthough he still has a funny moment every now and again but these are getting fewer and farther between...
on tuesday this week he had his first ever jumping lesson with someone on his back and he was great, last night he jumped his first little spread.
below are some pics of this, i know richard does not wear a hat or the proper shoes etc' but i can't make him:( the last pic show him having a moment.

first day of jumping
casparrommy066.jpg

last night over a spread he was doing a double before this
casparrommy067.jpg

casparrommy068.jpg

having a moment:eek:
casparrommy004.jpg

sorry this was abit long:eek:

What a stunning looking creature.

My, you have been good to stick with the poor boy - but what would have happened to him if you hadn't have?

That is a hell of a 'moment' Norman!!:eek:

Thanks for the story - definately not too long.

xx

Dee

He's beautiful - what a great story, I hope he continues to improve the poor boy.

I love the quote in your signature too!

Poohsmate,
You said your horse was about 15hh when he was rising 5. How big is he now?
Just wondered because I have a colt who is just 3. He is also 15hh. I wonder how big he will make

sheryl said:
Poohsmate,
You said your horse was about 15hh when he was rising 5. How big is he now?
Just wondered because I have a colt who is just 3. He is also 15hh. I wonder how big he will make

hi sheryl
he, i hope has finally finished growing now and he 16.3+ thanks for the great comments everyone:)
forgot to sat he is supposed to be my next dressage horse but watching him jump i think he is going to be a showjumper:)
the chap who is training him and the young lad riding him are show jumpers:D

Echo W'jit - a wonderful story and *definitely* not too long!
It beggars belief that in this day and age, with all the information and debate and knowledge that's around, people can still think they'll get results from treating a horse like that :confused:
Well done poohsmate for sticking with him and showing so much patience - the pics are fabulous :)

Hes beautiful. What a sad start to hi life with humans. At least now he stands the best chance of fun, sucess and love.

Libbyo :)

Blimey Norman, he's a big horsey.

When you talk about your 'youngster' I never really thought he'd be that big and fiery.

By the way, my mates thinks the guy riding him is cute...single, age, gay??

Bobbin said:
Blimey Norman, he's a big horsey.

When you talk about your 'youngster' I never really thought he'd be that big and fiery.

By the way, my mates thinks the guy riding him is cute...single, age, gay??

names richard
single
age 20
hetrosexual as far as i know:)
competes at sj under 21s. goes to europe competing
bloody great quite rider, he is so good for rommy:D :D

newrider.com