Can I not poo pick this field?

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
I am a very religious poo picker, always have been. However I’m about to turn 2 out overnight onto about 4/5 acres of currently long grass and it’s going to be a nightmare and take ages to even find it all. They will be here as long as I can manage (it’s a fair trek home and back daily so shorter days may screw the plan!)
Do we think it’s ok to leave it?! It won’t be grazed again for absolutely ages and will be harrowed in spring

I'd leave it - wouldn't worry me at all. I know the nightmare of trying to be a good poo picker in long grass, the reality is all you do is wrench your arms and damage your fork! I can't see it coming to any harm. Though each to their own, I guess there are differing opinions on this.

Reactions: Toz
You may find that once they have grazed it down you want to start hauling off some of the worst piles, but if you're taking them off it in early spring and there won't be other horses on there I wouldn't worry. Are they geldings? If so they're likely to poo in particular spots.

I think they've got plenty of space there to not have to graze where they poo, I'd leave, harrow and rest it.

I found in a 4 to 5 acre field the only way to poo pick is to put up a strip graze fence let them eat that strip down and then extend daily. You will then be able to see the poo as that bit is grazed off. Trying to find it in long grass in 4 or 5 acres is not possible in a large field.

You may find that once they have grazed it down you want to start hauling off some of the worst piles, but if you're taking them off it in early spring and there won't be other horses on there I wouldn't worry. Are they geldings? If so they're likely to poo in particular spots.
Yes geldings. They won’t make it to Christmas down there really, it gets wet.
I did think that actually if once it’s grazed down there are obvious areas I could patch clear.
Strip grazing was my original plan but the problem has been there’s no electric and for some weird reason Jake (who’s terrified of and always respected fencing) has gone through it twice today cutting his leg. I’ve removed it all for that reason.
Last winter I poo picked it daily with 3 out 24/7 and actually it was ok but the grass was far shorter and I wasn’t walking up and down twice a day.

I dont poo pick. The field is effectively 4 to 5 acres of fenced off Dartmoor on a 1 in 3 slope. They roam. the poo rots down and the concentrated winter patches by the hay feeder get hauled off by the farmer. The smaller flat paddock I clear religiously.

I do the small paddocks but the winter field is now open and I don't do it as it is in a hill and my back can't do it. in the spring when they move out will harrow and rest again or if I feel motivated pick up some of it using the car and trailer and bags

newrider.com