Can I tow a horse trailer...

Unbridled

Formerly Appy_Luv
Dec 29, 2004
USA
Visit site
I have a new Ford Ranger supercab pickup with a 4.0L V6 engine and towing package. Would this be capable of pulling a two-horse stock trailer? Right now I only have one horse, so I wouldn't be towing it fully loaded.

how much does the car weigh and how much is it allowed to pull, this should be in your handbook somewhere. Idealy you should never tow something heavier then the car or outside the weight limit given by the car manufacturer

Towing laws in the US are probably totally different to the UK.

still doesnt change the safety guides though. Never tow anythiong heavier then the car otherwise the trailer starts pushing the car. and never excede the cars towing ability or you will get stuck when it comes to hills and you will damage your car (been there, done that, had the coolant system blow up in my face)

Trouble is, in the US and Canada the trailers are a totally different design to the ones we have here. They tow HUGE trailers from pickups with a tow hitch in the centre of the back of the pick up. Some have their own braking systems which means you can tow a much heavier load than the towing vehicle.

In the UK we don't know the US towing laws, and cannot advise. Best thing to do is speak to the local vehicle inspectorate.

There aren't any laws per se in the US about towing. Of course if you try to tow double the recommended capacity of the truck and there's a wreck, you'll be at fault. There also isn't any special training or license a person needs to two, though maybe there should be.

I used to own a 1999 Ranger 4wd extended cab v6. I will say this truck is horribly underpowered even without a trailer, so don't expect to go up mountains towing. I believe the capacity for my model/options was about 4500 lbs. You should look up your particular year/model/options; having a towing package, auto vs manual transmissions, and gearing all make a difference in towing ability.

A *lightweight* stock trailer might work, but I've seen bulky old steel ones that are 4000lbs+ empty. I had an old 2-horse steel trailer but empty it was close to 3000lbs, so I was stuck only being able to tow it and a single tiny lightweight horse and no extra hay/feed. I got tired of borrowing a real truck just so I could tow this trailer with my bigger horse.

To solve the towing problem, I bought a Brenderup. It tows beautifully! It's the perfect choice for smaller pickups/SUVs. It has its own brakes (all horse trailers in US are required to) but you wn't need a special brake controller in your truck. It's got a low center of gravity, tongue 'buffering' so trailer doesn't shove truck around when slowing, is very lightweight & aerodynamic, sides don't rust, has excellent resale value... I can't say enough good things about this trailer.

I found a used Royal TC which holds over 17hh horses. I loved it so much I didn't sell it even when I replaced the little pickup with a v8 Ford F150.

According to the owner's manual, I can tow up to 5,200lbs (give or take--I can't remember the exact number but it was in the ballpark of 5,200). My horse weighs 1,100 lbs. This would leave me 4,100lbs left for the trailer and my tack, hay, etc. I wouldn't want to tow right at the weight limit, though. I do have the towing package and 4x4 and the transmission is automatic, if that makes a difference. I found a three horse stock trailer for sale at the local tack shop, but the tag said it only weight 1,000 pounds, which seems awfully light. Was it mismarked or could is possibly weigh so little?

I was looking at the Brenderup website and those look absolutely great. But I can't find anyone who sells them in Georgia. Could a dealer special order one I wonder? I'd love to find a used one but I've never even seen trailers like that before so I don't think they're used much around here.

I found a three horse stock trailer for sale at the local tack shop, but the tag said it only weight 1,000 pounds, which seems awfully light. Was it mismarked or could is possibly weigh so little?

It's got to be a mistake for a 3 horse metal trailer. Sorry but I find that very hard to believe... unless it's a trailer for 3 minis. :D

Many trailers have a small metal plate on them somwhere with VIN# and trailer weight info. Or if it's a company that's still in business, call up the manufacturer (be sure to have the exact model or VIN# handy)

I was looking at the Brenderup website and those look absolutely great. But I can't find anyone who sells them in Georgia. Could a dealer special order one I wonder?

You might want to contact the nearest Brenderup dealers, even if they're in another state. Do be aware the brand new ones aren't cheap... expect to pay over $10,000 for a new one.

You can search for used ones on ebay, online classified sites, etc. It is hard to find one used, since most people who get them love them and keep them forever. Just keep looking around! I got lucky by putting a "Wanted: Brenderup" ad on one of the big, free equine classifieds sites.

mayS said:
It's got to be a mistake for a 3 horse metal trailer. Sorry but I find that very hard to believe... unless it's a trailer for 3 minis. :D

Many trailers have a small metal plate on them somwhere with VIN# and trailer weight info. Or if it's a company that's still in business, call up the manufacturer (be sure to have the exact model or VIN# handy)

*sigh*

I was afraid that it was a mistake. I will have to revisit the shop and look for the metal plate--hubby and I were looking at the paper sale tags, which were obviously not too accurate.

mayS said:
You might want to contact the nearest Brenderup dealers, even if they're in another state. Do be aware the brand new ones aren't cheap... expect to pay over $10,000 for a new one.

10,000??? :eek:

*passes out*

Is there any way I could get a used one for half that? Because my budget is only going to cover $5,000.

mayS said:
You can search for used ones on ebay, online classified sites, etc. It is hard to find one used, since most people who get them love them and keep them forever. Just keep looking around! I got lucky by putting a "Wanted: Brenderup" ad on one of the big, free equine classifieds sites.

Not sure if I trust ebay for a purchase that big. Will just have to keep looking around, I guess. :(

Appy_Luv said:
According to the owner's manual, I can tow up to 5,200lbs (give or take--I can't remember the exact number but it was in the ballpark of 5,200). My horse weighs 1,100 lbs. This would leave me 4,100lbs left for the trailer and my tack, hay, etc. I wouldn't want to tow right at the weight limit, though. I do have the towing package and 4x4 and the transmission is automatic, if that makes a difference. I found a three horse stock trailer for sale at the local tack shop, but the tag said it only weight 1,000 pounds, which seems awfully light. Was it mismarked or could is possibly weigh so little?

I was looking at the Brenderup website and those look absolutely great. But I can't find anyone who sells them in Georgia. Could a dealer special order one I wonder? I'd love to find a used one but I've never even seen trailers like that before so I don't think they're used much around here.

I have been doing some research on the same topic. While I am far from having the answers, I do know there are several things that need to be considered.

First, the tow weight listed in the owner's manual (5200lbs per your post) is just one of the weights involved. Your vehicle should also have a "max gross weight" figure that includes the vehicle, it's contents and passangers plus the tow weight (trailer, horses, tack, etc.)

So you not only need to consider the weight of what you are towing, you also need to consider it in relation to the CGWV (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight).

Next, you need to know what those weights are based on. You say you have the towing package, which is good. However, that package may or may not include an upgraded transmission (proper ratio for towing), transmission cooler, load stabilization - all of which will affect towing capacity.

According to the Ford website description of the Class III towing package for the Ranger "A properly equipped Ranger can tow up to 6000 pounds with the available Class III towing hitch receiver." The real thing to find out is if you are "properly equipped" - meaning what else do you need besides the towing package.

I have found that many car dealerships are clueless on the topic. Taking the advice of someone that doesn't really know their stuff is very dangerous for you, your horse and anyone else on the road. Find a car and/or trailer dealer that knows their stuff. Find two and compare what they say. Even better if you can find one that knows their equine trailering info, as trailering horses is not the same as towing dead weight.

That said, your Ranger Supercab _should_ be fine with a two horse bumperpull provided you stay within the published weight limits.

Note that when trailering one horse with a 2-horse trailer, it is usually recommended to keep the horse on the drivers side of the trailer. This has to do with the way roads are graded.

Hope this info helps.

--Joe

Oh yeah... it is also my understanding that automatic transmission is perferred in this situation. So you should be fine there.

newrider.com