Can someone please tell me about humane girths?

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
What is different about them? Why would you use one?

Would be any help at all in helping my saddle not slip forward onto the shoulder along side the use of a anti slip pad while i start saving for a curved girth?

As far as im aware, the only difference between a humane girth, and a normal girth is the buckles. i personally dont like them and prefer string girths. i use a thorowgood one on mine. its shaped around the elbow area, and is only £20! :D

humane
girths5.jpg

String
TOK53-218.jpg

Thorowgood
4155_469f5.jpg

I wasn't sure what a humane girth was so thanks for posting the pics. I figured it would be the same as an anatomical girth, which it is apparently not. I could have told you lots of good things about our anatomical girth though... :D Sorry!

When Kay Humphries came I got my humane girth out and she said that she would never use one and considers them lethal.

She said that if you are doing the girth up when mounted and your horse spooks you could let go of the girth strap which would mean due to the "pulley" system the girth would automatically loosen and the saddle would slip right round :eek:

SarahB: how awful! I'd never heard of the Humane girth before. Hmmm. What's your experience with it?
KarinUS: I've seen the type of girth that you've mentioned but don't know much about them. Do you think that type would be something for raggydoll to look into?

I love my anatomical girth. It's perfect for Dj because girths always fit him a bit infront and so on some saddle normal girths would pull the saddle onto the withers. The anatomical doesn't do it and it's nice and comfy. Perhaps it might work for Raggydoll.

Don't like them either - far far to easy to over tighten, and they're usually narrow material, creating high pressure.

The anatomical girth Karin's posted are lovely, but not really what you're needing for Bimble. This is the one you want - and they're not THAT expensive (unlike some for £100 :eek: )

Curvedgirth_s.jpg

Sarah-B said:
When Kay Humphries came I got my humane girth out and she said that she would never use one and considers them lethal.

She said that if you are doing the girth up when mounted and your horse spooks you could let go of the girth strap which would mean due to the "pulley" system the girth would automatically loosen and the saddle would slip right round :eek:

That happened to me once - very scary! :eek: It could also be a problem if one girth strap snaps! The girth suddenly becomes very loose! I don't really understand why they are so popular. The other girths posted look much better. I definitely wouldn't waste my pennies on one! :D

I never had any problems with mine, got one because my mare hated her girth being done up, so it was the gentlest way , used to put it on loose and gradually do the holes up one at a time while I was getting ready to ride, also used to de-sensatize her by rubbing her belly first (pampered babe:D )

colettybetty said:
I never had any problems with mine, got one because my mare hated her girth being done up, so it was the gentlest way , used to put it on loose and gradually do the holes up one at a time while I was getting ready to ride, also used to de-sensatize her by rubbing her belly first (pampered babe:D )
that can be done with my thorowgood girth, and thats not a humane!

I have used one a lot it seems to suit the shape of my horse better. I have never had a problem with them. My sisters saddle has the holes in the girth straps slightly out of line so its great for her as it evens that up. :)

I thought about getting a humane girth consulted with instructor who advised me against it as it is easy to do them up too tight. He recommended those shaped sort in leather price around £65 - too expensive for me so got the plastic circa £20 TG version and it seems to be great. It has elastic bits so it is a bit stretchy at the top, I presume these give a bit if she breathes out and constrict a bit when she breathes in. :)

I have the TG girth. IMHO it's very good, as it has elastic at *both* ends, so you don't end up with uneven pressure at the saddle.

The elastic also has quite a bit of 'give' in it, so unless you were to *really* overtighten it it's quite easy to slip your and under the girth and twiddle it around.

Both mine have humane girths and seem to prefer them. As someone has already said, they even out uneven holes in girth straps which is a big plus, and the tightness of the girth can be increased much more gradually than normal girths, which is good for Tali as she doesnt like her girth done up quickly. I use a dressage one on Kally's SBS and a normal one on Tal's treed GP.

If your horse spooks as you are doing up the girth you could end up falling off anyway - especially if you have a dressage saddle/long girth straps. If you are that worried then have the girth tightened by an unmounted helper, or do it up before you get on.

Yeah it is easier to overtighten them, but if you are aware of this then you can be careful about it.

I personally dont like string girths - they can pinch and the knotted bits look like they could give pressure points.

We use the humane girths occassionally on our therapeutic horses. Since these horses are usually quite a bit older, more out of shape, donated horses, they tend to have varying shapes and sizes. I find that if I do up a regular girth and you end up with something like the one billet tight and the other one too loose, and if you do up the loose one and now the first one is too loose, and so on ... the humane girth helps solve this issue.

thanks pinks lady, thats the only one ive found so far and although its not £100 its a bit more than my purse would like to part with if at all possible so if anyonew knows of a cheaper one then please let me know! If not ill have to give up eating for a week to make sure Bim has everything she needs :p !!!

Who needs to eat anyways?

it's be a worth while investment - they last for literally years and years. If their saddles are anything to go by, it'll be lovely.

newrider.com