can you help me?...how.....

Natalie_W

Apr 14, 2002
England
Visit site
This might sound stupid but how do you sit when in canter?
do you just sit normally on the saddle? (like when your walking)
or lift out of the saddle? (like when you do rising trot but stay raised)

It just i'm cnatering next week for the first time and want to be a little bit ahead :p

thanks
nat

Depends. On hacks, when you're going uphill, a lot of people tend to stand up in the saddle a bit, presumably to take the weight off the horses' backs.
In the school, though, you usually sit down, and move your lower body with the movement of the horse. Kind of hard to explain, but that's the best I can do!
Hope you enjoy your lesson. :)

I really don't know, when I'm cantering, I just kind of move, like I was in a swing or something, same movement. I only cantered once (on purpose) and it was both of our idea's (me and my horses) and my instructor wasn't there (which is why i tried it, was with a friend)

and well...sorry I'm not much help.

You need to use your seatbones like a rocking chair. Feel how your pelvis rock back and forth in walk, your seat bones are shaped like the rockers on a rocking chair. Now don't tuck your tailbone under, sit tall.

If you go into sitting trot keep that feeling, only faster, it's the same for canter but slower and in rythm with the horse's rise and fall of his back.

Keep your head and shoulders as still as you can, don't use your backside to push the horse forward, just allow your pelvis to rock back and forth and you'll feel the small of your back hollow and straighten with heach stride.

This is where Heather's equisimulator comes in so handy as you can canter on the spot and Heather can show you exactly where you need to go. The equisimulator will not canter properly if you don't move correctly.

sit up tall and BREATH.... a lot of people when beg. to canter get tence nevous and hold their breath....the most important thing is to relax and breath!!!

about hte sitting or standing you should (like someone said unless you are going up hill or something) you should kinda sit...stay tall, and let yourself move with the horse, let his rocking motion kinda sink in....most of all HAVE FUN AND BREATH

Canter

Sometimes when I canter, I have to actually say to myself "Don't grip." Meaning don't grip the saddle with your knees; this tenses you and the horse and you'll bounce. Talk to someone while you canter, or sing- you can't do either of these things unless you're breathing, so it helps! Try to keep the weight in you heels, so you don't loose your stirrups. Most of all have fun!!

Maci :)

Every horse in different, and humans are different as well. But...whenever I canter, I like to lean back in the saddle. This slows the horse down and keeps your balance as well, giving you a nice relaxing canter.<p> Leaning forward always causes some sort of disastor for me...like getting dumped on a wet arena and end up with mud inside my shirt and in my boots.

newrider.com