Can you recommend a bit for us please?

Shetlander

Aug 23, 2010
Surrey
Dear all

Just reading the thread about what bits you use and why has got me thinking...

I put Prince into a Waterford for hacking after he ran off with me a couple of years ago but he is mostly ridden (and always schooled) in the middle ring of a Dutch gag with French link. I thought it would give me more chance of getting him to listen when he is thinking of running.

The biggest problem we have now is really bad napping. I've had back, saddle, teeth etc done and he is OK if I have an RI ride him so the problem is with me really :unsure:

I'm sure I read in a Horse mag feature on napping recently that a Fulmer full cheek (?) would be good for a horse who naps by spinning as it would encourage him forward. I don't want to try endless types of bit unless I really have to but wondered if you could suggest something for us or tell me about the Fulmer please?

Thanks peeps xx

I don't really think a change of bit will help TBH. I think you need to do stuff together (little things) that get you back trusting each other, and also stuff that he enjoys doing and stop the need for whipping around and running.

I would only fiddle with his bit if you are sure the bit is to blame. What is it that you do that encourages him to nap? If you're heavy handed through anxiety about being run away with (completely understandable) then i can see how a change of bit might help. But if it's not that, I would say don't change for change's sake, work on what is causing the issue.

a fulmer will stop you from pulling the bit through his mouth if he's eg spinning and you're trying to 'pull' him the other way - in that respect it might be useful. i would try and work on the napping as a whole though, a change of bit alone wont help with that.

I'm sure you've spoken about the napping before, so apologies if I'm revisiting old things you've already tried, but I always tend to think of napping as being about confidence. Confidence in himself and confidence in you. Have you done any walking out in hand, riding out with foot soldier and then getting foot soldier to walk further and further behind, taking short cuts and meeting you at certain points?

What does your RI do differently? Does he try to spin with her? Does he always spin the same way? Can you predict when he will do it and take his mind off?

What I will say is that I've seen certain approaches work with my horse that I'm completely unable to replicate because I seem to be missing that horsey knack that some have. Because of that, I've had to develop my own methods of coping and sometimes that might be about getting off, trying a different bit to improve the communication. I'd give the fulmer cheek a try, but maybe keep the mouthpiece the same if you feel thats been working for you.

I'm sorry, I'm definitely not qualified to be giving advice, all I can compare it to is my experience of my horse falling out on a circle, he will fight me and nap, but if I'm strong with my outside leg and rein - having it taut against his neck and my leg firm against his side, blocking him, he will follow my lead - but I have to do all of this in preparation for his attempt at napping. If I try too late then I'm fighting a losing battle.
Maybe timing can be improved upon? Maybe I'm wittering too much and will just shut up now, sorry, I hope you find a way with him. x

Thanks guys :happy:

You are all right and we are dealing with the napping as a "big picture" problem and yes FM I completely and wholeheartedly agree that this is all about confidence - my lack of feeding from brain to rein :redcarded:

However, I DO think there is something worth exploring in the bit because of the article I read suggesting a Fulmer could help a little if he was spinning.

Like you say FM, it is ALL about knowing when, almost before he does, and distracting/preventing. At the moment I am freezing and he has gotten away with turning and trotting off before I can get my inner monkey brain to stop screeching "STOP!!!!!"

I will look into the Fulmer and let you all know how it goes ;O)

xxx

Give it a go, and see where you go with it, it certainly won't hurt. But I would also say, the more confidence he has with you, the less he will turn and run. Tobes was a king for turning and running as well as all his other naughty habits, mostly because he scared me and that in turn made him scared and bucky and naughty and it was a self perpetuating circle.

He does still spook, and I think he always will because he has a good sense of self preservation, but these days he is less turn around and go, and more leap sideways, which is an awful lot better! Even if something scares him behind, he leaps forward, but pulls himself up pretty quickly as though thinking to himself - oh, its fine really, which he never did before when he had me scared and I guess he thought, blimey, Mum's scared, lets go!

Best advice I can give - get lessons, as many as you can. Lessons will help you psychologically so that you feel in control, and you feeling in control will help him to be less turn and run, and more stand and snort!

newrider.com