Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Can your halter do everything?

Discussion in 'Tack & Saddlery' started by newforest, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

I've never been able to work out a halter, all the knots and such. I know there are special ones for leading like the dually? I was from the beginning when I has lessons shown horses with headcollars so I assumed this was okay and so when I bought my own horse, used a normal nylon headcollar. I do all the bringing in and turning out with one. I remember a horse manual my dad bought me which was written in the late 1970's showing pictures of the horses in their stables wearing rope / web halters. There was a diagram showing how to knot one. Looked fiddly to me!!
    I have a leather headcollar but rarely use it.

horseandgoatmom likes this.
  2. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

I had a figure 8 I used for tying for a little while but Jess very quickly learned she could just walk off because it would slide, she is better when ground tied (I was super proud of her ground tie this weekend, I was able to leave her by the lorry in a grass field, go in to get tack out, go to the loo etc. and she just stood there waiting like a superstar :D). I so very rarely tie my lot up it really doesn't matter to me, the only time really is when travelling so I just don't travel in a rope halter.

horseandgoatmom likes this.
  3. Kite_Rider

Kite_Rider Cantering cabbage!

Is Belle the only horse who has zero regard for the knotted rope halters?
    Normal head collar fine, even with no head collar at all fine, she’ll just follow wherever I go, tried a rope halter, she chucked her toys out big time! Never used it since, I think she was trying to tell me to go get knotted myself.

horseandgoatmom and Trewsers like this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

Ginger doesn't like one either. I use a leather one for both the boys and use electic break tie up points out side their stables and on the trailer. However, I do have a dually which I use on Ginger when loading as he can he a monkey but pop that on and he walked in just fine. I also use it in the winter if it is raining and windy as he gets the wind up his tail and 1/2 walk is very far with a dancing 16.1 snorting beast.

6. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Some find them over powering and will then throw their toys

7. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

@Kite_Rider I nearly put @belle then. :D
    I suppose I see the plain headcollar as the snaffle and the halter as the pelham, gag, Kimblewick equivalent. The step up to if you need a little more.
    If yours is good to lead in the headcollar I wouldn't change that.
    If I hadn't discovered them I would be opting to lead/ lunge off the bridle if she's being a bit of a handful.
    She led two vets once so they put a bridle on. I didn't have issue with that. The lack of manners I did, but she is that opportunist type.

8. newforest

@horseandgoatmom
    I just ordered and tried a halter with a thicker nose. I don't know why I think I have seen you using one.
    How do you find this type?
    I have led her off it three times out hacking and we had to test out that 'oh crap' moment, when she takes fright runs ahead of you, and it's just you, a bit of rope and that!
    PicsArt_07-08-06.05.40.jpg

9. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

And how was it?

10. horseandgoatmom

horseandgoatmom Well-Known Member

Yes I have one I think it's a Julie
    Goodnite.
    It works fine .

I bought it for the colored nose.

11. newforest

To me the nose feels stiffer, but maybe that's how it's meant to?
    She stopped, but I really should be taking a 10ft rope. I was literally running behind her bum with my arm along her flank because I only had my lead rope.
    Haven't ridden in it yet.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties