Canine teeth

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
One one billies canine teeth had not erupted through. The vet said he wasn't worried he could feel it under the skin. Hes now seven so very much late development. I've been checking about once a month and now find that its come through. However what's come through appears to be broken or has broken since erupting. It's only level with the skin but there is a mega sharp edge which I nearly cut myself on when having a feel. I've read that they can file or grind them. To remove tooth is a major job which involves xrays. Skin around looks pink and healthy but I haven't checked the underside of the tongue to see if its cutting it.
I'm going to have to have the vet out to check it as I'm worried about sharp edges. Hes not due for teeth and jabs until October so it's going to be a separate visit which will need sedation. If it's only level with the skin I'm guessing they cant file it at present as they would be filing the skin. Wondering if I need to leave another month. No obvious issues with being ridden. Although I will check today after I ride as to whether theres any red areas on the gum.
Hes ridden with a flash so if his mouth is shut there could be rub areas. I may have to take the flash off but it's not ideal as it stops him putting his head between his knees. I tried a few months ago removing it as I hate the excess tack and wanted to try minimal. Then realised that his head between the knees which only happened in canter only started when I took the flash off. Since it went back on hes been fine again.
Anyone else had experience of canine teeth breaking.

No experience, but I think you're doing the right thing getting the vet out if it's that sharp. In the meantime is it crucial that he's ridden, or could he have a short holiday?

Yes I think getting the vet is a good idea too. Though have no personal experience of this issue. Best to check just in case though.

Maybe a bit late to the party here but from memory they are sharp when they cut through the gum, then quickly loose that. Filing just the tip won't help much if it's only just peeking through, I would probably keep an eye on it for a week or two and see how it goes, if no issues and the sharpness wears off then I would wait for the routine October visit.

newrider.com