Can't believe I'm asking this....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Turnout for very novice (read "first ever" :giggle:) dressage class..... would it be correct etiquette to plait Joey? Come the summer I'm hoping to have the means to be able to get him out and about and this former happy-hacker is now fascinated with dressage. However, I have never plaited a horse in my life, bar the occasional play around - there is a method in my madness of having owned hairy cobs :biggrin: Unfortunately, Joey isn't a "traditional" type of cob, however, he does have a gorgeous, not-to-thick dead straight silky mane which I don't want to shorten - I was trying to train it to stay over on the right and it has grown since this pic in October.... (not quite sure what is going on with my balance there either! :redface:)

Ad28thOct019.jpg

I've tried a running plait...

Ad28thOct008.jpg

... which lasted all of five minutes before the silkiness of the hair meant it fell out in the middle - and that wasn't even with a clean mane! :redcarded:

What are the rules for first attempts at dressage, please?

Minnie's is so thick I always do a running plait even for riding at home.
If we ever get to do a dressage show I am planning to do a diamond plaid :)
For us here though I don't think it's a requirement for the Intro Level tests

For low level comps you can do what you like :)

Moëts mane is so thick and long I leave it down although if hot I do a running plait.

With joeys id be tempted to pull it and then plait it if I could be bothered lol!

I would do a running plait, the judge will be looking at the overall picture. So much as a flowing mane is lovely, it wouldn't show off the neck.

I always plait for all my riding club competitions, but I am about the only one who does. It doesn't really matter, but I always think that it prepares me for 'competiton mode' and makes me feel more the part.

Nope, not pulling it, I've seen pics of him with a longer mane and it really suits him. But then if it is longer and I used lots of hair spray, I might get it to stay in a running plait :giggle:

Do any of you use sprays for plaiting. I watched a vid on YouTube today where she ran the thread through beeswax to stop everything unravelling. Does anyone use that?

I'm sooooo pleased you did ask this question as I'm a COMPLETE show novice too and am desperate to know the acceptable turnout for myself and horse for a walk and trot test:/!! See I told you I was VERY novice competition wise;)!! So I think it's a great question:) no doubt ill be posting on here when we've finally got a test lined up with all manner of ' what do I wear for this or should kitty have this, if so what colour are acceptable....' Etc etc etc;)
So you are not on your own BELIEVE me;) p.s. I'm slightly in love with your horse- beautiful:)

If its just a small local comp you don't have to plait but everything helps your marks.

I took Cherie to a comp a couple of years ago. I didn't plait and I couldn't afford the correct attire for myself. I was placed 7th out of an entry of 24. (The only one who wasn't Kitted out and didn't plait:redface: I was told this would have been higher if I had worn the right clothes etc.

I was happy though because it was her first time out at dressage and it was an achievement for my 'nerves' for me even to get there and into the ring.

Ordinary plaits are more traditional for dressage.

Little pic of Cherie with her Rosette looking very pleased with herself:smile:

11231_zpse97e769d.jpg

newrider.com