Can't believe Im having problems again

Pencilbeckett

Mar 12, 2009
Staffordshire
Sorry this is a moany post :mad:

I thought i had found livery heaven but it would appear things are going up the spout again. The lady i share with has gone to spain and i am looking after Ozzy and her pony. We rent our stable/grazing on the local farm. I know the lady who owns the farm has been thinking of getting a pone for her daughter which was great i even dropped in a few adverts of lovely horses to her house. Well i pulled up to the yard today and she was sat on an irish cob mare with two men in the yard with a horsebox. Anyway i soon learn this mare is staying for a trial, no contact with me and if i hadnt turned up the mare was on her way to our field to be just turned straight out with our precious lads :eek:. Anyway i then mention it would be best to split the field as i have responsibility for the other pony and dont really want injuries to which the reply is oh they will be fine stop worrying :eek: (so glad i popped up at the right time). We then have a debate and i get my way and then have to split the field (sunday morning ride out the window then :mad:).

Came back tonight and all my stuff has been used on this unkown mare, hay, brushes, hoof and sole and hoof brush, mane and tail conditioner.....

I scrimp for my luxury's like hoof and sole, they own a successful dairy farm they have the money for their own stuff i am so fed up. I have just moved yards because of bullying and was so happy. They dont have tack with this horse and i am so glad i was changing the gullet in my wintec today as i think they would just use it.

She may have lice, thrush or whatever and now i have to use my brushes on Ozzy. Any ideas of what i should clean them with or whether i should bin the hoof and sole as i think they would have dipped the dirty brush in to the liquid.

Sorry guys for the rant :eek:

owning the land you rent doesn't give the lady/owner a right to use your horse belongings be it a simple grooming brush or tack. I would be livid.

I would have another word and explain any items that are yours/your friends are not to be used.

they have no right to use your equipment. Are they experienced with horses or just too lazy to get their own stuff? a word in their ear may be appropriate, i'd be spitting feathers like you!

Well i thought you decide you want a horse, you buy some kit so you are ready, you mention it to at least one other livery so intros can be smooth then you respect each others things/horses and everyone lives happily ever after.....mmmmmm sounds like a fairytail :rolleyes:

:mad:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'd be spitting feathers ... where the FECK does she get off using your gear and turning out a new horse into a field with YOUR horse :mad:

Right first thing, clean brushes like normal then get yourself a big bucket and just soak them all in a very mild disenfectant (sp?) over night (I do this with my brushes sometimes)

Get yourself a small lockable tack box, anything that you can put a lock on. I do this with ALL my gear. And I myself dont keep tack at the yard as I've had things go missing, but this was on a biggish yard, even now though I keep no tack at the yard (I trust no one)

This might have been a once off, but I would make it clear that your stuff is YOUR stuff. But if you prefer not to have a showdown/talk about it. Just plonk your stuff in a lockable box, soon gives the offenders the hint ;)

(( Big hug ))

can you not lock your things away? an old filing cabinet should do the trick? I've always found that the more money people have, then the less they want to actually spend!! Would rather use someone elses things than put their hands in their own pockets - see it all the time I'm sorry to say!

Very awkward for you Pencilbeckett. Unfortunately people like that cant see what the problem is and you are the one who is worrying not her. It is totally disrespectful on her part but if she can do that sort of thing without question then what else is she capable of? Like everyone suggests try and get yourself a locker so you know your things are safe. At least you managed to get the field separated. Hopefully for friend will be back from Spain soon. Sometimes you just have to be a bit 'Jo Blunt' and make her aware you are not happy about the situation. Good luck xx

You may think i am mad but i dont have an official agreement as they own the dairy farm and only have 3 stables. It was a friendly agreement between me and the retired farm owner, and as it was only me and my friend who had horses it has been great till now. The lady who is using my stuff is the daughter in law of the farm owner it is a family business she is in her 50's and has had the horse as a mother daughter share with her daughter. I am going to have a word with the farm owner who i originally rented from.

I totally agree with the comment about people with money being tight. I think she should get herself down to the tack shop.

Anyway today i thought i would pop up the road and have a look at a proper livery yard as i think we may be better off somewhere that is purposefully for horses. Well i could not believe what i found on my doorstep it has and indoor heated school, an outdoor menage with lots of jumps, the stables are immaculate, a lovely kitchen with arm chairs, locked tack room with a combination lock, everyone has a separated space of their own to put whatever they like i could fit my little cupboard and shelves and a space for my children with maybe a little table and chairs for them to draw at. It is all electric fenced with no broken barbed wire like we have where we are now, the gates all work (ours is tied to the hinges with bailing twine :eek: we have had to electric fence in front of it cause it fell down and Ozzy escaped and broke through a fence next to a cattle grid :eek:). They do turnout and feed in the morning for a pound. I nearly fell over and it is only £84 a month and the school is free.

I am very very tempted now ;)

What are you waiting for that livery yard sounds fab, I would bite their hand off! If you decide not to move I would have a word with the farm owner who you made the original agreement with - I would be fuming if they did that with my stuff :mad: Hope everything turns out ok :)

I dont know what you are waiting for, I would move yards, the new one you have found sounds amazing - wish I had an indoor heated school ;) would make life so much easier when Jade is having one of her paddy's :D

I would be so cross too. Once upon a time when I was on a yard, I "caught" somebody rifling through my tack box helping themselves without asking! When I challenged the person they didn't look a bit embarrassed / sorry and seemed to think I was just making a fuss over nowt! How bloomin annoying. And, this person had pots of money but was just too lazy to go buy their own equipment!
Do hope you move and it works out for you - sounds like the place you are at isn't really up to much.

You may think i am mad but i dont have an official agreement as they own the dairy farm and only have 3 stables. It was a friendly agreement between me and the retired farm owner, and as it was only me and my friend who had horses it has been great till now. The lady who is using my stuff is the daughter in law of the farm owner it is a family business she is in her 50's and has had the horse as a mother daughter share with her daughter. I am going to have a word with the farm owner who i originally rented from.

I totally agree with the comment about people with money being tight. I think she should get herself down to the tack shop.

Anyway today i thought i would pop up the road and have a look at a proper livery yard as i think we may be better off somewhere that is purposefully for horses. Well i could not believe what i found on my doorstep it has and indoor heated school, an outdoor menage with lots of jumps, the stables are immaculate, a lovely kitchen with arm chairs, locked tack room with a combination lock, everyone has a separated space of their own to put whatever they like i could fit my little cupboard and shelves and a space for my children with maybe a little table and chairs for them to draw at. It is all electric fenced with no broken barbed wire like we have where we are now, the gates all work (ours is tied to the hinges with bailing twine :eek: we have had to electric fence in front of it cause it fell down and Ozzy escaped and broke through a fence next to a cattle grid :eek:). They do turnout and feed in the morning for a pound. I nearly fell over and it is only £84 a month and the school is free.

I am very very tempted now ;)

Go for it. Sounds great to me. I'd still go for the lockable tack box though! Start as you mean to go on and make sure NO ONE uses your gear.

That's mad, surely one of the whole purposes of getting a new horse is that you can get yourself down to the nearest tack shop, pronto, and have a huge spending spree ................. ;)

All booked in at the new livery moving at the end of the month. Just got to break it to my friend the other livery, there is room for her if she wants to come with me so fingers crossed. :D

you might as well go for it! In my experience things don't get better once people start showing these sorts of tendencies! I found a few people dabbling in my feeds and grooming kit at my new yard so bought chains and locks for my feed bins and a lockable tool kit for my brushes - you'd be amazed at how many people said it was a good idea and that they had been having the same probs!

newrider.com