canter problems - help please

P

parsharainbow

help :( :(

Ok as most of you know Red has been back in work and schooling for about 5 months now (story in my link below for those who don't know) and his canter has gone from being really fast, inconsistent and forward when I was working down the long side of the school to now being really slow and sluggish and also really short in stride length which is odd as his walk and trot are incredibly long in length. I've started asking him for bend on the corners across the short side of the school which he can't manage and breaks into trot for the bend and then back into canter on the straight (long side) ok thats not a problem as I know that bit will come when he's stronger and more balanced but what I'm concerned about is how slow and sluggish his canter's become and how little impulsion he has in canter although he does feel slightly more balanced than he was originally but I do have to force him forward every step of the way

Any one got any ideas? or is he just trying to work it out for himself? or am I just expecting too much in such a short time when he's had two years off and never schooled before in his life

His walk and trot are now much more consistent than they've ever been and he's going well but I haven't really done a lot in canter as I've been trying to get his other paces right first but he really does seem to be struggling with the canter - so any help/exercises/info welcome

Maybe try lunging/free-schooling him to watch his canter and see if it's any different without you on board??

ETA: YEY! Mii Thousandth Post!!! Go Me :D

yeah agreed - lunge him .. it's really hard to get your balance at a canter. Perhaps build him up longer with really really good alk and trot work in the school, and ask for canters outside the school on long grassy uphills where he can not worry about whether he's going to make the next turn or not. Don't worry about his sluggishness unless you think there may be a pain issue somewhere ? His liveliness will come back when he's more sure that he's up to the job again.

I agree with the others lunge. Also when he is cantering focus on keeping him going forward rather than looking pretty. Again like Kate said hills and flat grass tracks will be better for him.

Oh, just a thought, could it be simply due to the heat? I know in PE i don't much feel like running about at high speeds, so maybe it's that. Perhaps some jumping work, trotting to the approach and cantering after might help?

palmerlover52 said:
Oh, just a thought, could it be simply due to the heat?

actually that was one of the things that did cross my mind

Thanks for all your replies guys :) I've got one small problem though ;) he can't jump or hack - he's not allowed in case of impact damage :( He's had major problems in the past and he's only allowed to canter on wet ground (not an option at the moment) and he'll never jump again under vets orders, the only thing he can do is school, loose school or lunge on a surface :(

His full story is on my website link on my signature strip :)

I am going to try loose schooling him later on though and see how that goes :)

Is there anything else I can do at all that doesn' t involve hacking or jumping, anything at all ???????

newrider.com