Canter....?

BlueSky

Flossie
Sep 6, 2001
West Yorks, UK
Hi.
I go and help out every saturday at my riding stables, and in one class that I saw, someone mentioned 'rising canter'. I've never heard of this before, so could someone enlighten me? And is it a common thing, because I have had about 4 riding instructors in my whole riding life, and only one (the one that was giving the lesson I'm talking about) has ever mentioned it. It looked extremely difficult!:eek:
Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Rising Canter??

I'm not quite sure what it is...while they were cantering, were they standing up in their stirrups? You should do this before you jump, so the horse can warm up his back freely. I guess it could be interpreted as rising canter, otherwise, I'm clueless! :confused: Sorry?!

Can Anyone Enlighten Us?
Maci :)

Yeah, they were standing up in their stirrups, for about a stride or something... And, yes, they did do a little bit of jumping. So maybe it was that??

Re: Rising Canter

Then I think that's what it was! I do that before I jump, I "rise" up and down (but I don't touch the saddle) in a canter, so I can warm up the horses back without my weight as a burden.

I've never heard it be called that ("rising canter"), though.

Maci :)

Last edited:
newrider.com