Carrot magnets!

Chrisnscully

Banned
Aug 11, 2007
OK, so today I go to warm up Scully before my lesson and she is so bolshy - coming out of the field, being tacked up, getting into the school she resists everything! I even fitted the new happy mouth plastic apple flavoured bit!

Get the block to mount and she moves, move the block and she moves - eventually climb on and she won't move except sideways and backwards and only in the far end of the school!

Well, Hayley doesn't turn up so I decided to walk her out of the school and go for a hack instead - OK up as far as her grazing field and then all cooperation ceases!

She isn't getting away with this, so I dismount and walk her back to the stable, untack her and walk her out in the headcollar - 1/2 mile out, 1/2 mile back and back into the school to try some lunging with her - she has got to have her exercise somehow!

On the lunge OK - we get a good trot and canter on both reins and she is paying attention - so I think, lets get this on video - go and get the little camera out of the car and set it up - hehehe - she is nowhere near as good after - but then I thought let's try loose schooling her and see if she will follow me, so I got a few carrots as treats for her if she was good and they acted as magnets - she will follow me anywhere for a carrot! no mugging, just following! Then I tried lunging without the lunge line and she was nearly as good as with the line.

Now before anyone jumps in - this is my first time with a lunge line & whip so the technique may be a bit naff and AT NO TIME did the whip touch the horse - I just cracked it behind her or held it over her backside.

Here's the video - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b-nP1KChq5M

newrider.com