Carrot Stick and Lines

cowboy007

Uk Cowboy
Dec 25, 2006
Northampton
Has anyome got a carrot stick and or Lines they are no longer using as I am about to start my horses on the Parelli system and like alot of other people cant afford new

I don't have anything to sell but try going on eBay and looking for Parelli equipment. It's cheaper than buying new stuff from the online store, but a *bit* more expensive than the Savvy Club discount. You will save money though :)

Thanks for your reply however I have checked Ebay there are very few coming up on there in the UK but I know that quite a few people start these thing and give up so there might be someone with this stuff in the tack room that is not being used

Nothing here either but just a thought: you don't have to get the 'original' Parelli equipment. As long as you get the same type of weight (line) and buckle you should be jsut fine with a cheaper knock-off.

Dont know about your side of the pond but here in the USA I coped with the expense problem by going to the feed store and spending one dollar on a fiberglass fence post. Sanded the splinters off it, put a piece of synthetic sponge around one end, wrapped it with duct tape, got a couple scraps of leather, glued them on, voila a tab for other end. Used quarter inch line for the string, no splice, used duct tape again. I also made my own low-tech cheapo 12 foot lead. The Parelli outfit's yammer about how only their products will bring about the desired results is sheerest nonsense IMHO. You can make your own halter as well. You can also save a ton of money by buying the Parelli book and extrapolating the games from it and online resources. Have fun!

You can save even more money by buying the Clinton Anderson book instead, since it's all the same stuff. Except that with the CA one, you don't have to wade through so much guff, and the pictures and words will simply tell you what to do, step by step, without any nonsense, and without trying to indoctrinate you into the club.

Like you money is tight (I work part-time just to pay for my pony and Parelli :rolleyes: ). However, I have joined the Savvy Club (approx £11 per month), which is well worth it for the monthly DVDs and the great forum :) I also treated myself to the genuine Carrot Stick and String (10% discount as member of the Savvy Club). Otherwise, I have found Lodge Ropes products (can be bought direct from them or through Horse & Harmony) a lot cheaper and fantastic quality. I am now just about to complete Level One and will start Level Two as soon as money is available (or I persuade my husband to buy it for me for my birthday in February!). I am riding Frayne in her halter and 12' rope - she is relaxed and enjoying life, so I am as well. Welcome to the Parelli Journey :)

Ali xx

You can save even more money by buying the Clinton Anderson book instead, since it's all the same stuff. Except that with the CA one, you don't have to wade through so much guff, and the pictures and words will simply tell you what to do, step by step, without any nonsense, and without trying to indoctrinate you into the club.
I visited the Clinton Anderson website a while back to hopefully find more out about his approach to NH training.

I was very dissapointed because all it appeared to include was page after page of advertisements and price lists for his dvd's, training aids, books etc. No where on the site could I find any of the information I was looking for.

I visited the Clinton Anderson website a while back to hopefully find more out about his approach to NH training.

True ! I guess most of his market is in the US, where we get his TV show 3 times a week so we know what he's saying. He's quite thin on the touchy-feely stuff, just shows you how to start off getting out there and doing things with your horse to start improving the relationship. His base premise seems to be that the world is full of women who love their horses, and who need to be shown quite clearly how to start the cue much softer, but how ti raise it to the point of being effective. To me, he's like a base level 'NH'-type trainer. Very, very simple to grasp, no great efforts to get deep into horse philosophy - he seems to think we, the handlers, will learn by doing. No great infrastructure of levels and hoops to jump through ... and although he's very hot on groundwork, his aim, his 'finished horse' would be a competitive reining horse ( so, as an aspiring dressage rider, I diverge from his ridden work after about 6 months). He doesn't tend to go to the great lengths that Parelli does, to produce an impressive horse at liberty.

At the end of the day, I think all these big name NH-type folks have the same basic message. It's just the packaging that changes. When I first started training horses last year, I bought or borrowed an 'entry-level $20 book from as many people as I could - Parelli, Charles Wilhelm, John Lyons, Clinton Anderson, Monty Roberts, Mark Rashid ... a bunch of others... Clinton Anderson's wasnt just the best, it stood head and shoulders above all the others. By comparison, the others just gave a sort of taster, to get you to buy in to some further course. I found CA's book pretty much complete by itself - in fact it was all I used at the time to start joePony who was at the time, a nervous, headshy rescue pony. And the 'method' didn't call for a round-pen - which was lucky, since all we had was the front lawn !!

Has anyome got a carrot stick and or Lines they are no longer using as I am about to start my horses on the Parelli system and like alot of other people cant afford new

I've just thought......

I've got a brand new training aid that's still in the original packaging. I purchased it from the Equine Ethology Centre earlier this year but didn't get to use it because a friend bought me a 2nd carrot stick for my birthday.

It's exactly the same as the Parelli carrot stick apart from it being brown not orange.

You can have that for £10.00 if your interested. :)

What do you mean it'll never work
I suspect its a joke :D

carrot sticks that aren't carrot coloured... whatever next.

BTW - Deepwater do a non PNH one for £14 plus p&p (they are in Scotland, Dumfries). This is without string - as are most prices...

ETA: the deepwater ones are red - and appear to work as well as orange ones ;)

we have an orange one with white string, red one with brown string, and now a red one with white string - all work the same :D

Last edited:
I suspect its a joke :D

carrot sticks that aren't carrot coloured... whatever next.

BTW - Deepwater do a non PNH one for £14 plus p&p (they are in Scotland, Dumfries). This is without string - as are most prices...

ETA: the deepwater ones are red - and appear to work as well as orange ones ;)

we have an orange one with white string, red one with brown string, and now a red one with white string - all work the same :D

we have been throwing out the greens ones....not ripe yet.

newrider.com