Carrots vs pony nuts

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Which would be better used as a treat for a pony on a diet?

I oly giver her a 1/2 or a 1/4 a carrot at a time depending on how easy carrot is to break, but wondering if a pony nut would be better in place of it? She seems to really like them too :rolleyes: Would stop pocket going soggy whe we do ground work too :p

If pony is on a diet I would avoid nuts. Could you not chop up a carrot into nut size pieces (or slightly bigger) and keep them in a sandwich bag to stop your pocket going soggy!?
:D

What about the Badminton horse treats? I dont know how much protein is in them (i can check my tub in the morning!) but they are high fibre low sugar and starch and my guys love them!

They are nut size/shape and can break them smaller. I feed them as treats and as rewards and to do the 'carrot exercises' with!

Heres a link http://www.feedem.co.uk/horse-117/horse-treats-142/badminton-5kg-tasty-horse-60.htm

Sorry if they are no good :cool:

Ooh I thought that pony nuts were just fibre cubes :eek: Thought fibre would be better than the sugar filled carrots...

But yes, if I have time and am planning a concentrated groundwork session I will cut them up smaller - its just spur of the moment work that I tend to give her more.

Thanks for your help :)

I only give my pony one carrot in his tea in winter, as he is lami and apparently there is more sugar in carrots than apples. We dont use pony nuts anymore, as he got lami when getting pony nuts and too many carrots at the same time once.

I cut up his tea carrot into very small pieces and do his clicker training with that, then he also knows when it is finished and doesnt expect endless handfulls of them.

If you use pony nuts, get the Spillers high fibre, which is also a low sugar and only use about 20 nuts a day for treats or in sprinkle on tea.

I never thought about a packet in my pocket, just keep washing things. Thanks for that.

20 a day?!?!?!

She'd be lucky if she made 40 a week!!! :p

She really will get one treat at a time, and its for groundwork - we currently get through about 7 carrots a week - half in her muzzle, and if she tacks up well/grooms well etc. When we do concentrated groundwork she can get up to 5 carrots generally (10 treats), but we havet been doing that very often due to moving

How about some chopped up Swede? I don't think (might be wrong here) that its got as much natural sugar in it as carrot?
I spoke to our vet a while back and she said that it was ok to give our pair carrots (one of them had lami a while back). She said that so long as I didn't give them too many it would be fine. But, ours only had low grade lami so it might not be applicable to everybodys horses.

There is always luci-nuts and things from simple systems? Just pure lucerne (alfalfa) in a nut. You wouldn't want to be feeding scoops and scoops of the stuff but a few here and there won't hurt. A livery on the same yard as me does stuff like that with her horse and she always has a pocket full of LuciNuts...my horses are aware of this and also nuzzle their new friend "nut lady" incase there are any going spare! :p

newrider.com