Cat Dandruff!

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
My cat appears to have "dandruff" along her back. I was brushing her today and noticed white flakes through her fur. On closer inspection I think her skin is a tad flaky/scurfy. It doesn't seem sore/itchy and she is her usual perky self, no fleas or anything and she is an indoor cat. Had a dig around (as much as she would let me, she just doesn't sit still for anything!) and her skin actually looks ok, not at all red, angry etc. She has a lot of dark hair but it is something I've never come across in a cat before. I'm just wondering if I should just brush her more regularly or whether it is worth buying something to help get rid of it. Honestly, if it was Rubic I'd be giving her a bath but I don't think Zelda would appreciate it. :giggle:

I don't keep cats but if you don't get any replies I will ask my mother as she keeps 5 indoor ones and they are her life lol so she will no doubt cast some light on the dandruff or whatever it is.

My cat Meisie had this last year and it quite spoiled her pretty looks. It was at just this time of year too. I posted on here and some helpful peeps recommended fish oil, so I got some from the people who sell Ruggle-it and put a few drops on her biscuits, plus she got some tinned tuna, salmon skin and sardines for a few weeks. Add a lot of brushing with her Zoom Groom (which drives her into ecstasies anyway) and she was back to her shiny self.

No problems this year so far.

Yeah I was wondering if some sort of oil in her diet might help. I will try that and some more brushing! She is shedding like crazy just now too. I have to admit that I don't really brush her too often but I will brush her at least once a day for just now and see how we go with that. Thanks!

Our little cat RUNS up the garden and LEAPS onto the table where the Zoom Groom lives, mewing as loudly as she can (which is not very loudly) to demand another session!

i'd still get a vet prescription de-flea treatment, even indoor cats can get fleas and the symptoms sound like it could well be fleas or mites.

julia
x

This is quite right, with 2 dogs and an outdoor cat we are plagued with fleas and they all get vet-precribed spot on once a month.

i'd still get a vet prescription de-flea treatment, even indoor cats can get fleas and the symptoms sound like it could well be fleas or mites.

I've had a cat with fleas before and you definitely know, you can see the little things jumping about! :hot: Like I said she doesn't seem in any way itchy or irritated by it which I don't think it is fleas, hadn't thought of mites mind you but I'm sure she'd seem more irritated generally. My plan was to see how we get on over the next week or two and if it is no better than a trip to the vets is in order ;)

newrider.com