Cat pee problem - at my wits' end!

Our cats became very stressed when we moved to our current house - but not initially. For the first year or so they were fine, until our next door neighbor got two cats who used to be really mean to them. Over the following few years it became more and more difficult. Our cats used to pee on window sills, but the one cat did develop bladder stones from the dry food and lack of activity (she became too nervous to go out), she did end up needing a strict diet of no dry food and a special wet food diet. But when our daughter came along my in-laws kindly offered to have the cats after about 6 months because they could see how stressed the cats (and us) were! Unfortunately even though they live in the countryside our one cat did get run over after 6 months. But the one with the bladder stones is still happy there.....however I cannot stand to talk about her and don't like to see her really - because the in-laws ignored our advice (from the vets) about keeping her food rationed to get her weight down and the importance of using the special diet food and not using dry stuff.....and they have commented saying that she doesn't like the diet food and so is back on unlimited dry food.....very very very annoying but she is their cat now so they can pay the vets bills for the consequences of their actions!

It looks like she's going to have to be an outdoor cat. Which is ok - we have a double glazed garage and we're going to put a cat flap into that and make a sleeping area for her. Rather that than re-home a much loved pet. Not ideal but at least it's a solution I am comfortable with.

It looks like she's going to have to be an outdoor cat. Which is ok - we have a double glazed garage and we're going to put a cat flap into that and make a sleeping area for her. Rather that than re-home a much loved pet. Not ideal but at least it's a solution I am comfortable with.

What did the vet say? Hope it's heated for winter

Please get her checked out at the vets. I have an older cat,who I thought being old was just loosing control of her bladder, finally took her to the vets and it turned out she had a UTI, she's been on antibiotics and has stopped peeing in the house.

I asked my mum and she wondered if she was worried about other cats that might have visited your garden, and stopped her doing her wee out there?
And also (which you've probably already tried) placing her litter tray in a really quiet spot.

I totally agree with the others that after ruling out any medical issues, it is usually a stress/anxiety issue. The Feliways are great. For cleaning you need an enzymatic pet cleaner to remove the smell and also deter them from going in the same spot again. Another thing that can help is providing more than one litter box as some prefer to use one box for poo and the other for wee. Also with two cats have at least three litter boxes in different locations.

I totally sympathize with you, my male cat (neutered) will pee on any item of clothing that is left on the ground. Also if the litter trays arent cleaned to his high standards, he will climb in our shoes and go there

OMG it sounds horrible for you. I am not a cat person and never have been.
My best friends family had far far far too many cats,
It did it for me when one of the cats walked over the dishes in the sink drainer.
Ugh she picks up a cup starts to pour coffee into it:eek::eek::eek: Want a cup.:confused::confused::confused::confused:.
(not a chance)

Occasionally she would bake things after seeing that ugh standard answer was" NOPE ON A DIET"

Keren- thats worse than people living in the
South West that have to check for Scorpions in their shoes:confused::confused::confused::confused:

There is a commercial here for fabric softener I have not seen on Tv in a while.
It shows a cat all over kitchen counters/table etc then jumps down into the laundry basket
of clean clothes out of the dryer. :( Not quite sure why they thought ANY
of that commercial was a good selling point.o_Oo_Oo_O

newrider.com