Catching/Attachment Problems!!! HELP!!!

BayBeau

Beau's Mummy!
Aug 7, 2007
Essex, UK
Hey,

I moved yards about 6 weeks ago and to begin with everything was going great, Beau would come to the gate when I called her every night (she was a pain to catch at last yard if she wasn't the last one in), this surprised me as the other 2 mares live out but she was happy to leave them and come in for her dinner.
After a little while she'd have odd nights when she didn't want to come in (usually if Id ridden the night before), but equipped with a bucket of feed she'd come to me :rolleyes:, apart from one evening it had got quite late and was dark, she wasn't coming to the gate so I trekked across the field to get her but she just kept running off and it was a bit dodgy in the dark as the other mares can be a bit funny and kick out at her so I didnt think it was worth the hassle and left her out :mad: more annoying as Id spent the time mucking out etc etc.

Last week she was due to move to a new field, I dont actually know who owns the other 2mares she shares with but they weren't going anywhere so I decided to move her to the new field, she went in with my friends gelding (who was being picked on by geldings in his field), they fell in love and were joined at the hip but were ready and waiting at the gate to come in every evening (good in a way), but had got very attached to each other in this short time.

(sorry this is getting long!)
This was beginning to be a problem and was getting to the point where if they couldnt see each other they would both be going bonkers, so he went into the field opposite and Beau was alone but only about 6feet apart!

Now the mares have been moved in with her, when I put her out yesterday morning they were near the gate and wouldnt let her past to move out in the field, one tried to kick her but she ran past and was fine.
Last night I mucked out and got everything ready, went to get her in and she was right at the top of the field, not interested. So I went back and got a bucket with come nuts in, which ALWAYS works, still they just stood looking at me like I was a loony! I was wary to go too close to them as they'd come charging for the food and get nasty but as I got close Beau turned around and walked further away.

So I left her out. Its really frustrating, she was so attached to the gelding but would come in (if he was aswell!), now the mares pick on her but she wont come in.
I could let her live out but there isn't really enough grass and I like to have her in a routine else she'l turn a bit wild and be even worse to catch as she'll think its only to ride :rolleyes:

I really don't know what to do with her, every situation seems to cause a problem, any help/advice much appreciated! :eek:

I have the same problem with Bramble, the only way i've managed to control it is to walk her down, if she gets into one of those pickle moods, I must just walk behind her (out of harms way) and keep her moving, eventually she gets bored and I invite her to join me, if she runs I continue to walk her down until she gives in.

The most important things, I must not be in a rush
She must leave the field with me I must not leave alone
I must be non aggressive in body language but must be firm :)

I had a similar problem with Tyler. He just wouldsnt be caught. I usually ended up leading a herd of every horse but Tyler lol.

I have started going u to the field, giving him a treat then leaving. This lets him know that when I want to see him in the field, it isnt always to birng him him. I have found he is now alot better and although he woud prefer to stay out I certainly dont have as much of a problem.

As for the other horses, I started taking a small stick with me and used it as an extension of my arm to push them away. Not hit them or any real contat. just use it to push them back.

Not a full answer to your questionI am afraid thought :(

Jenny and Tyler
x

Thanks for your advice, it's just difficult walking after her as she gets behind the other horses and they kick out at her so I just cant get near her without getting in the way of a flying foot! She's a stubborn girl anyway and if it's dark/pouring with rain there's only so long I can walk around the field for. More of the worry is with winter coming its going to be dark every day when I get there :eek:

Thanks Jenny, I think Beau would be more inclined to run away from me if I had a stick :rolleyes: but I will try it to try and move the other horses away.
Also with the treat thing Im only able to go up in the morning and evening which is when she comes in or goes out, working full time doesn't help! It would be easier if she was closer aswell. :eek:

You've got a tough one there, I personally had real trouble when she was in a herd where the horses didn't belong to me, mine knew if I was walking bramble down it was best to not get involved :)

hmmm see the other mares are a bit bossy and if anything's happening they want to be there to take charge, there isn't really any other option to move fields but it's not something I want to put up with, it's hard to spend lots of time with her anyway but when she doesn't even want to come in it frustrates me! Food used to work at any time, now she wouldn't come in for that I dont know what to do! :eek:

newrider.com