Cats biting their toe nails

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've not had much to do with cats before I got Cali, is it normal for them to bite their toe nails? (she's always done it, I've just never thought if it's normal before... Cooped up spending too much time inside because of storms)
I figure she's sharpening them, she bites the nail then pulls it out with her teeth still clamped down.
She is a bit if an oddball, she also likes to play fetch (will put the ball right back in my hand) and has an odd relationship with my stinky old boots :p
She'll do this for ages :p

Reactions: Trewsers
I believe when they claw the furniture they are either sharpening there claws or using it to pull them off. Can't remember how frequently but something in my memory says that they grow a new set of claws, under the other ones so maybe she is irritated by them if she's biting at them. I could be completely wrong on this one so have a Google.
Equally is she chewing claws or the pads. Could she have a bodily yeast infection. Only say this as one of my dogs has had a chronic yeast issue most of her life and she licks and chews her paws and legs. It also effects her ears, chin and bottom.

Reactions: Jessey
Sorry was at work earlier and terrible connection. I was right they do lose there claws, every 3 months it says. They say its normal for them to chew as there removing the dead outer. I thought id heard it somewhere. One of those utterly useless bits of info that made its way into my brain.

Jessey, I have had cats pretty much since I was born, so with that level of "authority" :cool:, I can reassure you that it is absolutely normal. Unlike dogs, cats tend to be much more attentive to their cleanliness (no offence to dogs meant) so it is for that reason that unless you absolutely have to, it is better to avoid any heavy washing of shampooing of a cat. So it is basically a self-performed pedicure procedure for a cat!

The only thing you should be mindful of is there are signs of dry blood around the nails. This may be an indication of an infection or fungus - then check with a vet!

newrider.com