Change your life?

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Yesterday was a foul day here. I'd been to the yard in the morning and got all my jobs done, waited a bit for a friend who said she was riding but she had a slight crisis at home and was late, by which time it had started tipping it down so we decided not to bother. Came home, had my dinner and did a bit of work and then headed back over to bring Jack down from the field and give him his medicine. By this point it was horribly windy and throwing it down, I was all togged up in my waterproofs and wellies and Jack was non too happy about having to be dragged out of his field and do the long walk back to the yard with the wind in his face. Did the deed with Jack - in the rain on the yard because he gets very stressed in his stable if he's on his own, took him back down to the field at which point the ponies in the fields adjacent to the track thought it would be a really good idea to run along the fence line and tease him (what better way of keeping warm :rolleyes:) which didn't make my job any easier, had the pleasure of watching old Jack go running back to his mates and then having a fly around the field and then battled my way against the wind back down to the yard. Did a few yard chores, cuddled the yard dogs and went back home bedraggled and probably quite smelly.

Walked into a cosy house, OH lying on the settee in his room, log burner lit, watching the grand prix. it crossed my mind that this could be my life if I didn't have horses, but do you know what, I wouldn't swap for anything! :D:D

Picture from a better day ... please share your 'what it's like to have horses in mylife' stories :)

23Aug18.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpeg @Bodshi that's a lovely picture:D

Hahaa I can so relate to this post!
Lots of times even in summer I ask myself why?!!! Just why???? Specially when my non horsey friend down south sends me an email telling me all about her snug cosy sofa and the fact she's tucked up with her cats and a good book:p
I on the otherhand am normally drenched, bedraggled and yeah slightly pongy I shouldn't wonder! But hey, I don't half enjoy a well earned can of cold Fosters with my evening meal:D
And of course it isn't always wild and woolly. This makes it all worth while!

Maybe that’s the reason - there’s nothing better than relaxing at the end of the day after putting your body through it’s paces all day to have the satisfaction of seeing all your charges happy and cared for is there? :)

Too true. Mr T often says he wouldn't have it any other way. He loves to "earn" his dinner and glass of wine:D

One reason I like to get up and out early is so I can earn a few hours doing nothing :p
I don't know what I would do if I didn't have horses, probably be even poorer from shopping too much and even fatter from lazing about and boredom eating :p

3F919FEB-EC37-4843-854E-E9DCA31F7AEA.jpeg E10FCE26-8A29-4EFC-9450-EB3C98333479.jpegWhere could I be..... at home...doing what

I literally have no idea.

My house is spotless my OH cooks lovely food. We enjoy our evening when I get home with a couple of glasses of wine and we cuddle these two.

I would have more time but I don’t know I would fill it. I would have a sports car but where would I drive as I currently walk to work. I would have a wardrobe full of designer clothes.,. I live in a village.

Change anything not in a million years

I wouldn't change anything, I moan in the winter when I walk down the road and look into the neighbours houses to see them all cosy watching tv but then when I get down to the yard and bring my two in for the night and hear them in their stables contently munching away on their hay I feel all cosy inside anyway :D
I have what will probably be a life changing difficult time ahead to do with my hubby's health...I am just hoping that all will be well and our lives will stay the same.

I have some pretty crazy days but those are usually my favourite in the end and like you say at the end of the day you've earnt your dinner and I certainly sleep well!

This summer I had many Sunday's where I was getting up at half 4, cycling to do Ale, cycling to another yard, doing a couple of hours work, going to box hill for 3-4 hours and then heading back to the yard after to go for a hack for a couple of hours. Then doing Ale again before heading home.

I'd like to say that if I didn't have horses in my life I would be a triathlete or something, but most likely I'd be very fat, bored and miserable. I do wonder how my mental health would be fairing too, I do struggle a little but having Ale has always kept me going through anything really. And it's made me a more motivated person than alot of people I know.

I always wonder if horsey people are all descended from Vikings or something, if you think about what we put up with we are quite tough really!

I wouldn't change anything, I moan in the winter when I walk down the road and look into the neighbours houses to see them all cosy watching tv but then when I get down to the yard and bring my two in for the night and hear them in their stables contently munching away on their hay I feel all cosy inside anyway :D
I have what will probably be a life changing difficult time ahead to do with my hubby's health...I am just hoping that all will be well and our lives will stay the same.

Vibes for your husband, health issues are so worrying at times.

I have some pretty crazy days but those are usually my favourite in the end and like you say at the end of the day you've earnt your dinner and I certainly sleep well!

This summer I had many Sunday's where I was getting up at half 4, cycling to do Ale, cycling to another yard, doing a couple of hours work, going to box hill for 3-4 hours and then heading back to the yard after to go for a hack for a couple of hours. Then doing Ale again before heading home.

I'd like to say that if I didn't have horses in my life I would be a triathlete or something, but most likely I'd be very fat, bored and miserable. I do wonder how my mental health would be fairing too, I do struggle a little but having Ale has always kept me going through anything really. And it's made me a more motivated person than alot of people I know.

I always wonder if horsey people are all descended from Vikings or something, if you think about what we put up with we are quite tough really!

That's a very good point about mental health - my ocd was through the roof before I starting having lessons, things have just got better and better for me in that department. Lol yeah, we are vikings really aren't we?! To cope with all that horse keeping throws at us:D

I don't really have the why am I doing this days to be honest. (remind me of this when I moan)
Ok perhaps when it snowed and I walked to the yard.
But it was nice to get photos of various things including her.
PicsArt_08-27-06.56.02.jpg

Maybe I am lucky being on a yard with a horse that lives out without much intervention. Living out means one check, no mucking out, no nets.
What you can't see are the dumbells she came in with that day!! I was mortified! :eek:

Most of my life there has been a four legged friend in it.

Having had almost a month without Gracie, I can categorically say that the grass ISN'T greener on the other side of the fence and my life has been directionless and joyless without her. I am picking her up in fifteen and a half hours.....and I cannot WAIT!!!!!

newrider.com