Changing landscape

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51041436

This was interesting to look at this morning. With the slider you can see how the landscape had been built on in the last ten years.

You can if you want put your postcode in and it will tell you how the land in your council area is used up.

My area is 87% farmland. With 1% for housing. So you need to be a cow to get a house here. :p
But the issue is when they build any houses its on green sites and not brown I think the term is? There is no more space on the roads these houses link into. One place that's been built had horses one side and crops on the other. Call me thick, but I never expected to see green farmland go.

I think farmland has been going for a long while. Back where we used to live they'd put the clappers on more development - but only when it suited them! Councils are strange fish. They will allow building plots as and where they see fit. Okay rant over.
I think the world we know won't exist in a thousand years. They'll have to build upwards and everyone will have to live in pods. And there will be no real animals, just virtual ones.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
There wont be as animals for sure. Not after the programme i saw on the tele the other week. They are creating meat from cells or what ever it was my memory has gone. Telling us we need to rewild areas. Saying that the animals will be protected. Well we all know whats happened with the suffolk punch and a few others now they no longer have jobs. They are on the rare breeds list. I myself have two breeds of animals that were on the rare breeds list but have come off and now classed as traditional. However if they are growing meat from cultures these farm animals will very quickly go back on the rare breeds list and soon die out.
Not too far from me our council last year brought up farmland. Now they are announcing big plans to invest in the future of our area and country using it. Once that land is built on it will never be the same again.
Even closer more farm land has been bought up and allocated for a new school and houses. We need a new school but its in such a bad area they have proposed due to the poor road layout.

I’ve lived in our town for 12 years now, it’s changed beyond recognition in those years and is at least twice the size and still growing, the roads haven’t changed though and one minor accident in rush hour will grid lock the whole place for hours.
Council planning bewilders me to be honest, brown field sites go unused and green field land is being developed at an alarming rate. :(

This is really helpful tool thank-you for sharing!

I'm currently doing a research project where I compared green belt with urban parkland and I'm hoping to see more of an importance in the greenbelt, this will be helpful to show how its all changed.

newrider.com