Changing Rugs

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
So I finally gave in and put a lightweight (no fill) on Jess yesterday, she doesn't really grow much of a winter coat, she is still slick and shiny and Sunday night was cold enough for the rain water in my wheelbarrow to have a few mm of ice on it and she had her coat puffed up and the forecast was for a lot of rain and an even colder night, and there had been a squabble and someone had taken out 2 mains electric fences (she gets grumpy when she's cold or hungry :rolleyes: )

So this morning I checked the weather, when I went out to do the horses before work it was frozen and 0c but today is going to get up to about 16c but is also meant to rain which should keep tonight's temps up to 8c. I would normally whip the rug off again if its going to be in double figures in the day, but it was biting cold and thick fog this morning so I didn't want to leave her cold until it did warm up, so I've left it on for now with the option of calling a friend to whip it off later this morning if it does warm up as much as they say it will.

Do you leave rugs once they are on or are you a day and night changer like me? once the day and night temps stabilize I normally leave them as they are but autumn I always struggle with.

I swap and change am and pm at this time of year. It's been freezing over night and they have med weights on, the clipped ones, the non clipped are still naked but they are Hardy, and during the day it's been so hot here I've either popped a light weight or let them have a few warmer hours without rugs, they still have their backs covered with hair :) by November I'm generally settled to 1 rug 24/7 but I don't over rug,they have ad-lib grass and/or hay at all times so keep themselves warm.

See this is when having a hairy good doer is a positive thing. I never have to worry about rugging.
I do feel for those with coats of a less robust nature at this time of year though. I'm inclined to say whip off the rug for the daytime, but if she trashes the fence if she's cold I guess it's better to leave it on and ask your friends to take it off later in the day.

I will always whip on and off depending on the weather. I know a woman who has always said once the rugs are on they stay on, personally I think that is a stupid way to go about it as at this time of the year it can be very nippy during the night but double figures during the day and if the sun is out it can feel very warm.. I am not rugging Marley yet but the wee old man gets his rug on at night but I am still keeping if off during the day for now..

Reactions: Jessey
See this is when having a hairy good doer is a positive thing. I never have to worry about rugging.
I do feel for those with coats of a less robust nature at this time of year though. I'm inclined to say whip off the rug for the daytime, but if she trashes the fence if she's cold I guess it's better to leave it on and ask your friends to take it off later in the day.
Yep Hank and Harry are still naked, its so much easier!
I normally do pull the rug even if its really cold in the morning, it more the fact it was meant to start raining before it was 5c today and then carry on all day, I felt a bit bad letting her get cold and then wet on top of it, I should have just pulled it off :p

I have got Kia unruffled until he is slipped as it is cold but dry up here at present. Next week when the weather breaks he will get a bath then clipped the next day :)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com