Charlie update (crazy bolting TB!)

TB_horse

Just an update as I asked everyone for advice on what i should do with my TB, a month or 2 ago. He had been very difficult over the first 6 months and seriously injured me. I didn't know what to do - keep him and persevere, sell him, put him in a rescue etc........

Well just an update on what i have decided to do!

I am definitely keeping him. He has moved to a new yard and is really calm. It is only quiet there. He is on magnesium calmer and we have switched to simple systems food. He's now sharing a field with just my other horse (been with us 5-6 weeks now) who he adores. Separation anxiety is gettting more manageable although some days he gets upset - others is fairly ok. I take lou away for short periods every day so he knows she will always come back, and he now seems ok most of the time - provided he can see other horses.

Riding....well i am now riding him again. Only in the school realy but he is going well and we are actually having some fun. Have hacked him (only walking) in company (with a friend riding lou), and apart from one scary pony he saw where wheeled round and thought about bolting home (he didn't as he doesn't want to leave lou -hence why only riding out with her there), he's been a good boy. We have emergency brakes for hacking now (american gag) but only have v.light contact and not had any problems. I knw some people won't agree with using this bit, but its only there to try help prevent something awful happening and its not hurting him and seems happy.

So.....much more happy now, we are getting on loads better on the ground as well. I think we both had a real scare with my injury and it seems to have taken him a long time to settle.

Lou, my new mare is great and hoping to do some fun rides and stuff soon with her. Having lots of fun schooling, hacking out and generally enjoying riding something where you don't have to constantly try to diffuse stress!

Fingers crossed things stay happy!!!! :)

Last edited:
Awww that's fab hun - well done you for hanging on in there and doing your best!

:-D I'm VERY happy for you both, long may it last!

xxxxx

newrider.com